VMware Cloud Community
JasonGillis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Manual external database failover for vCO appliance

Hi all,

I'm in the process of trying to fail over my vCO appliance to a different database server due to a primary DB failure earlier this morning.  I had previously set the vCO server to use an external database (SQL Server).  Now that I've been able to restore the vCO database to the secondary server*, I'm having trouble pointing the vCO appliance at the new DB server.  Specifically, anything I try to do in the web GUI results in something like this:

Error occured

on https://svcs-mgmt-vco.rsasvcs.lab.emc.com:8283/config_database/Database.action

(413 FULL head)

My best guess is that this is due to the fact that information in the page is stored in the DB and it can't find it.  Is there any way to update the database location for the vCO appliance outside of the GUI?

Thanks,

Jason

* Yay for me having current backups.  Boo for me not noticing that the secondary failed to restore those automatically in June)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JasonGillis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Looks like I get to solve my own problem here...  I realized entry since the vCO appliance was trying to connect to the database server by name, I could add an entry to /etc/hosts to redirect the old db host name to the new one. Once I did that, I was able to boot the appliance and properly configure it to the new DB host.

This is possibly not the best solution or one that would work in every situation, but it did the trick.

Jason

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JasonGillis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Looks like I get to solve my own problem here...  I realized entry since the vCO appliance was trying to connect to the database server by name, I could add an entry to /etc/hosts to redirect the old db host name to the new one. Once I did that, I was able to boot the appliance and properly configure it to the new DB host.

This is possibly not the best solution or one that would work in every situation, but it did the trick.

Jason

0 Kudos