VMware Cloud Community
Gerry_Deutsch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is it Possible to Snapshot only 1 Disk Drive on a VM

We are running ESX 3.50 Update 2 with Virtual Center 2.5 Update 2. I have a quick question. Is it possible to perform a snapshot using Virtual Center's Snaphsot Manager, or via a command line, to only take a snapshot of some of the VM's disk drives and not all of them? I don't think this is possible but could someone please confirm?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
fmateo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Changes only affects on the regular drive. The independent/persistent disk don't be snapshoted, because it can't. And when you revert the snapshot only revert te regular drive.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not out of the box directly, but you could make the disk you don't want to snapshot independent/persistent.

Duncan

Blogging: http://www.yellow-bricks.com

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Gerry_Deutsch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I forgot about that. So let me see if I have this correct: A windows system has 2 disk drives a C: drive and a 😧 drive for example. If I wanted to create a snapshot of just the 😧 drive and not the C: drive I could make the C: drive Disk Mode be independent/persistent and the 😧 drive just be a regular drive. That way when I snapshoted the Virtual Machine the 😧 drive would have a snapshot but not the C: drive. When I wanted to revert the snapshot the chanegs to the 😧 drive would be discarded but the C: drive, since the Disk Mode, was independent/persistent would not lose the changes since the snapshot was taken. Am I understanding this correctly?

0 Kudos
fmateo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Changes only affects on the regular drive. The independent/persistent disk don't be snapshoted, because it can't. And when you revert the snapshot only revert te regular drive.

0 Kudos
Gerry_Deutsch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I concur. I tried the setup in my test lab. C: drive was set to independent/persistent and the 😧 drive was set normally. When reverting the snapshot the changes that occurred on the C: drive were preserved and the changes on the 😧 drive were lost. It acted as I expected. Thanks to all.

0 Kudos