VMware Cloud Community
Gerry_Deutsch
Contributor
Contributor

Kick Start Install Problem

We use a Kick Start installation script to install ESX V3.50 Update 1 on our ESX hosts. The Kick Start script works beautifully. I had a request come in a short while ago to start prepping our ESX hosts to support a migration from Fiber SAN disks to NFS disks. I need to increase the NFS.HeartbeatFrequency and the NFS.HeartbeatMaxFailures settings in Advanced Options. I am using vmware-vim-cmd to make the NFS changes. The problem I am having is that the Kick Start script appears to not like the . (period) that is in my command line.

I am specifying the following commands in the Kick Start script:

vmware-vim-cmd hostsvc/advopt/update NFS.HeartbeatFrequency int 12

vmware-vim-cmd hostsvc/advopt/update NFS.HeartbeatMaxFailures int 10

When the Kick Start script hits the lines with the . (period) in them it blows up and does not finish the script. The commands are valid and do work. If I manually enter the commands from an SSH session once the ESX host is up they work like a champ. Does anyone have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Gerry_Deutsch
Contributor
Contributor

OK I figured out the command line syntax to use in the Kick Start script. This worked in my Kick Start script:

/usr/bin/vmware-vim-cmd hostsvc/advopt/update NFS"."HeartbeatFrequency int 12

/usr/bin/vmware-vim-cmd hostsvc/advopt/update NFS"."HeartbeatMaxFailures int 10

Thanks for the help Steve. As always you are a tremendous help to this forum......... Edit

0 Kudos
Gerry_Deutsch
Contributor
Contributor

This question is answered...................

0 Kudos