VMware Horizon Community
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert

P2V WinXP and VMware Tools changes

Okay, so I have the most wonderful of scenarios - a physical computer is running an application that crashes with repeatable procedures.  To test things out without interferring with the user, we P2V'd the desktop and gave it a new name.

Now the problem does not exist.  Nothing changed with regard to the software installed besides the very obvious.  Frustrating to say the least.

My question is, with regard to Windows XP - what files are changed during a VMware Tools install besides obvious drivers etc.  What DLLs etc?  Is the VMware Tools service completely self contained?  Nothing is copied out to windows folders?  No updates to existing files?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmblogza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

It would be all the Hardware changes from Network Cards to CPU and HDD's. Could be that some of the hardware on the physical box's drivers are out of date or its faulty?

Best regards, If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". Please visit my blog at http://vmblog.co.za
0 Kudos
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert

I'm thinking more along the lines of other library files and not anything driver related, unless its something funky network driver related.

The error message is a very generic "Automation Error.  The object invoked has been disconnected from its clients." and we cannot figure out whats causing it.  The vendor apparently is resistant to "digging deep" and just giving us a debug type version of the software since "no one else" is getting it.

It doesn't happen in our Citrix environment and it only happens to ONE USER - but only on her physical machine.

Down with physical!!!

0 Kudos
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert

Even though likely *no one cares*

The problem with the application went away on the two physical deskops.

Nothing changed on the machines or the application.  Likely nothing in the database either.

COMPUTERS ARE AWESOME.

:smileyconfused:

0 Kudos