VMware Horizon Community
pieterjanheyse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Moving a persistent disk from vCenter1/View1 to vCenter2/View2

I am migrating from a demo vCenter1/View1 combo to a new server/san combo with vCenter2/View2. Both environments are not connected in any way, no shared san or things like that.

Is there a way to detach my persistent disks in View1 and migrate/move them to View2? I tried detaching them in View1 and downloading to my local computer, uploaded them in a datastore on vCenter2/View2 environment and searched for detached disks in the View management console, but the manager cannot find my detached disks.

Is there a way to do this migration, so my users don't lose their profiles?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

1. Upload the persistent disks to teh destination datastore

2. Open the destination View Administrator console -> Persistent Disks -> Detached

3. Click "Import from vCenter" and import all persistent disks

Now you can recreate VMs using this or can be attahced.

But the concern here would be how you will keep track of each persistent disk against user (This is going to be a very tough task)

If you make a media (datasore common to both then it is pretty simple, you can refer the blog post http://communities.vmware.com/people/skg/blog/2011/01/01/moving-svi-pool-across-vcenter-server-keepi...

pieterjanheyse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The procedure you have explained me (3 steps) does not show me the newly uploaded persistent disk, so there must be sth wrong there. I am reading the link you posted, maybe the best solutions lies there. Thanks.

0 Kudos