VMware Networking Community
Thraxinator
Contributor
Contributor

HCX Network Extension using HCX from cloud to on-prem?

Background:
We have an AVS 2.0 environment running with many subnets/segments in Azure and need to migrate some VMs from the cloud back to an on-prem vcenter already connected via HCX. VM migrations work, but we would like to use HCX Network Extension to migrate these VMs on-prem by extending the network subnets/segments in AVS 2.0 to on-prem.

I tried to initiate network extension from the cloud, but at "Select source networks for extension to remote site" I am given: "! Network Extension should be initiated from <on-prem service mesh>" and I can only extend the network from the on-prem connector. I can create a network extension from on-prem to AVS 2.0, but that is not what we need. Need to select source network as the cloud network back to on-prem.

Is there a way to extend a cloud-based SDCC segment/network to on-prem using HCX? In my searching online I see it is "possible" but no examples other than on-prem->Cloud or Cloud->Cloud. 

Alternately looking at duplicating the AVS 2.0 network on-prem and bulk migrating the VMs and dealing with downtime after cutover, but NE would be preferable.

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
laurenpenner
Contributor
Contributor

If your on-prem has NSX-T you should be able to install the HCX cloud OVA (instead of Connector OVA) and run it as another "cloud" instance. NSX-T is required on the destination side so that HCX can create the L2E segment there when extending subnet from the source vCenter (AVS). 

0 Kudos
Thraxinator
Contributor
Contributor

There is no on-prem NSX. Is an NSX-T a requirement for destination? Sorry if this is remedial, doing a crash course in this due to a "Hey let's do this and have it done by code freeze in a month" thing. lol Thx!

0 Kudos
laurenpenner
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, NSX-T is required for any cloud/destination installation.
NSX Requirements for HCX Deployments (vmware.com) - there is a helpful product interop matrix link on that page too.

Without HCX cloud in your on-prem I don't see a way to extend subnets to it via HCX.

There are other ways to stretch/extend subnets but they are not as easy to implement.

0 Kudos