VMware Cloud Community
gaganvmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

host in unresponsive state

One of the esx hosts in cluster has entered into  an unresponsive state because one of the mirrored installation drives is hot-removed from the server. The server is still responsive to keystrokes and ping, but the local EXT-3 partitions remounted in read-only mode and the server requires rebooting to recover. The server is unable to comply to log in attempts and user commands. VMotion of virtual machines is not possible. i set alerts at the vcenter global level and they work for all its datacenters . but when esx   entered into  an unresponsive state then no any alert poped up and did not get any email for it . attached is the snapshot of alerts . please tell me why alert did not work . and what is the best alert for it .

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

A host where hostd runs amok because of a lost path has no time to send emails.
Very likely he will only react to localcli commands - via localcli you can still shut down the VMs so that you can restart them from another host.
localcli is a restricted version of esxcli - you can run it via ssh - if sshd still runs

All you can do is make sure you never ever disconnect drives or LUNs without cleanly unmounting them first

gaganvmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

what best alert i can set to get the email once ESX goes into unresponsive state.

0 Kudos