VMware Cloud Community
akieferbac
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWARE cannot see network

I just installed VMWare Server ESXi 4.0 server on my server. I setup up the management network, however, I am not able to ping the gateway from the service console or any other ip address that is on the same network. Is there any other settings that I need to change?

THanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

When on the host server itself, using it's display, keyboard, etc., (the four colored screen) go into the Management Network and make sure the correct IP is assigned to it, with the DNS server address (IP) and the gateway for your network too. Make sure all the DNS settings are correct (in the additional listings) and then make sure at least one network adapter is listed for the management network.

What do you get for results when you use "Test Management Network"? Did you set any VLANs within the management network? If you did, try removing that setting (at least for now). Also make sure that the host is in your DNS forward lookup tables correctly. I've had to manually add ESX/ESXi host servers there before, since the DNS servers took too long to discover the hosts, and I didn't have several hours to wait to connect to them.

Also try restarting the management network right from the host.

With the correct settings on the host, and the entry in DNS, you should be able to connect to the host either through it's IP of FQDN.

I would also make sure the cables were run correctly from the back of the host server to your LAN... Confirm that you have the correct port to the correct switch/segment of the network and that it can communicate back to the rest of the LAN...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Forums - no there is nothing you need to set - make sure the networking information you entered is correct - are you able to connect to your ESXi host with a web browser?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
akieferbac
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the help,

I am not able to connect to the ESXi web browser. I am not even able to connect to the server using vSphere Client.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

When on the host server itself, using it's display, keyboard, etc., (the four colored screen) go into the Management Network and make sure the correct IP is assigned to it, with the DNS server address (IP) and the gateway for your network too. Make sure all the DNS settings are correct (in the additional listings) and then make sure at least one network adapter is listed for the management network.

What do you get for results when you use "Test Management Network"? Did you set any VLANs within the management network? If you did, try removing that setting (at least for now). Also make sure that the host is in your DNS forward lookup tables correctly. I've had to manually add ESX/ESXi host servers there before, since the DNS servers took too long to discover the hosts, and I didn't have several hours to wait to connect to them.

Also try restarting the management network right from the host.

With the correct settings on the host, and the entry in DNS, you should be able to connect to the host either through it's IP of FQDN.

I would also make sure the cables were run correctly from the back of the host server to your LAN... Confirm that you have the correct port to the correct switch/segment of the network and that it can communicate back to the rest of the LAN...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
akieferbac
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I removed the VLAN setting from the management network and everthing worked fine.

thank you for all the help,

0 Kudos