VMware Cloud Community
AlexD1979
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4 and NFS access

Hello,

we bought a 6 TB Buffalo Terastation III TS-RXLwith RAID5, NFS Support etc.

I can make the NFS mount from mz ESXi 4, I can open the datastorebrowser and see some directories, that were copied bz the datastorebrowser from another ESXi. I can open the folder tree on the left side, but If I trz to go into one of the folders, I see only "datastore will be investigated" (translated from german message and point by point i wait. After a few minutes, there appear an error massage, that the device cannot be accessed. Has anybopy any idea, why the terastation does not work with ESXi 4?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
stanleykwan
Contributor
Contributor

it seem like a permission on NFS share...

0 Kudos
AlexD1979
Contributor
Contributor

The share has read/write permission and If I add a new server with file on storage NFS it works. But I cannot access the storagebrowser...

0 Kudos
AlexD1979
Contributor
Contributor

Nobody has any idea? It is a "certfied" solution, to use NFS for VMWare ESXi?

Greetings

Alexander

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You might need a firmware update - http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/ESX-VMWare-on-NAS-NFS/m-p/20806/highlight/true#M16532

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
Colin137
Contributor
Contributor

Dave is correct. The latest firmware for the Terastation III fixes the issues with NFS and ESX/ESXi. It provides a "kernel mode" option for the NFS server. Update the firmware, then configure NFS to use the kernel mode. This should solve your issue.

Colin D.

Support Supervisor

Buffalo Technologies Inc.

Colin D. Support Supervisor Buffalo Technologies Inc.
0 Kudos
uma_kits
Contributor
Contributor

I bought Buffalo Terastation III 4TB (TS-XL/R5 Series) and already upgrade firmware the latest version from 1.2 to 1.3.

I have both VMware ESX and ESXi 4.0 Server. But only ESX can be connected to Buffalo, ESXi could not. It's show error about permission.

Why Buffalo could not access via SSH or other command line to investigate logs or modify some parameter to support vmware.

0 Kudos
Colin137
Contributor
Contributor

After updating the firmware, did you reset the device to defaults? System->Restore/Erase->Restore Terastation button.

Also, please make sure you configure NFS with Kernel Mode, and that the NFS Network Address is set to the base subnet address that the ESXi server's VMkernel port resides on: If the ESXi server's VMkernel port is set to 192.168.1.53/24, the NFS Network Address on the Terastation should be set to 192.168.1.0.

Colin D.

Support Supervisor

0 Kudos
uma_kits
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Colin D.,

Yes. After updating the firmware, I also reset the device to defaults. It took a long time about 2 days.

In Buffalo configuration, I configure it as you told me. But I can only connect Buffalo Terastation to ESX.

This Friday I'm going to customer's site. I will save an error screenshot on ESXi and post message again.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
uma_kits
Contributor
Contributor

Update Status

After I tried again, it can solve an error between VMware ESXi 4 free and Buffalo Terastation III. It was my fault to forgot to change IP on NFS service.

Right now I can connect Buffalo NAS as NFS on ESXi and browse data on NFS perfectly.

Step for troubleshooting

1. Use vmkping to test connection from ESXi to NAS

2. Verify configuration such as IP Address , NFS path on NAS and ESXi host

Thank you very much for your support

0 Kudos
Colin137
Contributor
Contributor

I'm glad you were able to get it working.

Colin D.

Support Supervisor

0 Kudos