VMware Cloud Community
alestan3
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading from ESXi 4.0 (free version) to ESXi 5.0

Hello All,

It is possible to upgrade using the ISO or CD method from ESXi 4.0 (free version) to ESXi 5.0? I tried this method (on a test machine) from ESXi 4.1 (free version) to 5.0 and it worked but it doesn't seem like it would be that easy.

Below are the server's and vm's associated with my production network:

ESXi Host 1 - Dell Poweredge 2900

VM's: Windows SBS 2003, XP Pro, Web Titan (web security vm on VM version 4.0)

ESXi Host 2  - Dell Poweredge 2950

VM's:  XP Pro and Server 2003 standard x 2

All VM's except for Web Titan are on VM version 7.  Once I upgrade, will I have any issues with powering on VM's?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Assuming the hardware is supported, there shouldn't be many issues with upgrading the ESXi 4.0 hosts to ESXi 5.0. This is officially supported (unless the ESXi 4.0 hosts were previously upgraded from 3.5). ESXi 5.0 supports virtual hardware versions 4, 7 and 8 so your "Web Titan" should work on ESXi 5.0. However, I can't promise you that there will be no issues at all with your virtual machines.

In any case, VMware recommends to backup all VMs prior to running the upgrade!

André

PS: Here is the link to the Upgrade Guide

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-50-upgrade...

satya1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

alestan3 wrote:

Hello All,

It is possible to upgrade using the ISO or CD method from ESXi 4.0 (free version) to ESXi 5.0? I tried this method (on a test machine) from ESXi 4.1 (free version) to 5.0 and it worked but it doesn't seem like it would be that easy.

Below are the server's and vm's associated with my production network:

ESXi Host 1 - Dell Poweredge 2900

VM's: Windows SBS 2003, XP Pro, Web Titan (web security vm on VM version 4.0)

ESXi Host 2  - Dell Poweredge 2950

VM's:  XP Pro and Server 2003 standard x 2

All VM's except for Web Titan are on VM version 7.  Once I upgrade, will I have any issues with powering on VM's?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

hi hardware seems ok,but i think ESXi 5 is not stable ,some fetures removed from ESXi5 like quick switch option not available .

as your are doing in testing purpose then you can do some exercise .

Yours,

Satya

alestan3
Contributor
Contributor

Andre,

Thanks for tip! I plan on replicating the production environment at my office so I am crossing my fingers.

0 Kudos
alestan3
Contributor
Contributor

Satya1,

I know that newer software releases are normally not as stable but I don't think it is possible to buy vSphere 4 anymore.  Our environment is small so I anticipate some issues to not affect us that much.

Thanks for your reply!

0 Kudos