VMware Cloud Community
stantheman10
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware ESXI 4.1 - connecting to ssh via ncat - not working

Hi all,

I am currently trying to use J1mbo's shutdown scripts to shutdown an ESXi server gracefully using the monitoring software from an APC UPS.

When I run the batch, it gets to the ncat line that says:

"ncat -C -i 2s --ssl %shutdown-host% 443 < authenticate.txt > auth-resp.txt"

At this point, it returns an error saying:

Ncat: idle timeout expired  (2000 ms)

I've tried adjusting this timeout but it makes no difference, for some reason I can't seem to connect to the ESXi server over ssh using Ncat. I have tried connecting via a web browser to the esxi host on https and it connects fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
farkasharry
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Did you check if SSH service is running on the ESXi host?
Can you logon with putty? If yes, do you get the certificate warning?

You are trying to use ssl, that might be blocked if your hosts certificate is not trusted?

*** If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful! *** vExpert 2019, VCAP-DCA,VCP,MCSE,MCITS and some more...
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

First, that line is to connect through SSL (port 443), not through ssh.

I haven't used that script myself, but take out the authenticate and response part and see if it connects manually.

"ncat -C -i 2s --ssl <hostname_or_ip> 443"

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
farkasharry
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I meant, that if putty shows you the certificate warning, then the script might be not working because of that unknown cert...

*** If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful! *** vExpert 2019, VCAP-DCA,VCP,MCSE,MCITS and some more...
0 Kudos
winxp2000
Contributor
Contributor

Why not go and upgrade to ESXi 5.0?

0 Kudos