VMware Cloud Community
Hugocorp
Contributor
Contributor

Someone deleted a 2Go LUN that was a datastore extent on 350Go datastore, is it possible to recover some if not all the data from the datastore?

350Go Datastore with 3 extents :

1. 250Go

2. 100Go

3. 2Go -> Extent thats been deleted on the SAN

One of the VMs is still running the other 2 we would like to recover have been shutdown in an attempt to export them but weere gettin I/O errors during the transfer and the VMs are now grayed out and marked inaccessible even tough i can still see the files in the datastore.

If there is anyway to recover the .vmdk thank you for telling me how we could do this.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
weblee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There is another discussion on this topic where the poster says he found a viable solution

Search "how to recover deleted files vmdk on a vmfs partition"

good luck..if the extent was a LUN presented on its own you might be ok....No snapshots or other back door options?

Weblee, Exploring the virtual world!
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi
recovery of data when a VMFS- extent is missing is uncharted territory.

I would like to have a closer look - if you want call me via skype "sanbarrow" so we can arrange something

We probably will need my recovery-cd - download http://sanbarrow.com/iscsiworkshop/moa64dvd.iso

Ulli

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Not sure but check if it works, .VMware KB: VMDK Recovery Tool (ESX 3.5 Update 3)

Thanks,

DJ

0 Kudos
Hugocorp
Contributor
Contributor

Yea I will try it as soon as I get access to the console but were are in ESXi 5.1 so pretty sure its a dead end.

Sorry Ulli I cannot give you access since this is a corporate environment and this datastore is part of our DEV team with very sensible data in it.

Whats worst is that I can see the files in the datastore but unable to get em out of there, always I/O errors

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

That approach only helps if  someone actively created a file-to-block mapping list BEFORE something went wrong.

The script itself did not make it into ESXi and none of the active ESXi installations that are running these days will have it.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

>> Sorry Ulli I cannot give you access since this is a corporate environment and this datastore is part of our DEV team with very sensible data in it

Just for your information : recovery from damaged VMFS is my daily job  and so signing an NDA or whatever you need is possible.

Can you run .vmkfstools -t0 /vmfs/volumes/datastore/vm/name.vmdk > /tmp/map-name.txt
against the missing vmdks ?

0 Kudos