VMware Cloud Community
fmmoraes05
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There is no more space for virtual disk

Hello,

My virtual machine stopped to work , see error below

Message from ecovs: There is no more space for virtual disk ecodw-000002.vmdk. You might be able to continue this session by freeing disk space on the relevant volume, and clicking button.retry.

Click button.abort to terminate this session.

Does anybody have idea?

thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
cclinard1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you have multiple snapshots sitting on the disk?  If you have more than one, delete the oldest.

0 Kudos
fmmoraes05
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How can I delete snapshot???

0 Kudos
cclinard1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here is some info on snapshot management...

VMware vSphere 5.1

It's best practice from VMware to only have one snapshot on the disk.  You will see more resource consumption when there is more than one.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

There are a few things to take care of with a full datastore and deleting snapshots, e.g. whether the disks are thin provisioned, other VM's with snapshots or thin provisioned disks, ...

As a first step please provide a screen shot of the Datastore Browser window which shows all the VM's files with their sizes, as well as a screenshot of the Snapshot Manager (if it shows snapshots).

André

0 Kudos
fmmoraes05
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Attached explorer´s screen of my virtual machine.

In the begin my disk file was set to ecodw.vmdk and now ] ecodw/ecodw-000002.vmdk

thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Do the other VM's have snapshots too, or do they have thin provisioned virtual disks?

Since the VM stopped due to the lack of free disk space there's a chance that the latest snapshot is corrupted. The safest way would be to clone the VM to another datastore. If you don't have another datastore, I'd recommend you backup the VM and then run "Delete All" from the Snapshot Mangager (with the VM powered off). If no snapshot shows up in the Snapshot Manager and the Delete button is grayed out, create a new snapshot to enable the button.

André

0 Kudos
fmmoraes05
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

My phisical disk has 32 GB free space,, I had 4 virtual machine ( fisrt 4 GB mem, second 4 GB mem, third 12 GB mem and the last 12 GB). The time I´ve started  my virtual machine the swap occupy  my free space. After some minutes I recieved  the messagem " no free space".

So, I´ve moved one of my virtual machine to other datastore. Now I ´ve started all virtual machine  and I have 19 GB free space.

Thanks all help.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In this case - with the VM's up and running - you should have no issues with deleting all snapshots from the Snapshot Manager, even with the VMs powered on. Just keep in mind that deleting all the snapshots could take some time, so please be patient.

André

0 Kudos