VMware Cloud Community
kgottleib
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Identifying what version of ESX4i is running

I recently downloaded ESXi from VMware's website, however, after I built it out as a VM in VMware Workstation I noticed that there was an iso available on VMware's website for each and every version of ESX from Essentials all the way up to Enterprise plus. I downloaded ESX from a VMware webpage that didn't have all these options and I never knew the different ISOs existed. When did this happen? It used to be there was only 1 ESX download and it was the licensing that allowed the features to be activated. So when my colleague asked me what version of ESX4i I was running, whether it was Advanced or Enterprise plus, I can't even answer him intelligently. The home page of ESX4i shows that I have ESX 4.0.0 installed with build # 208167, but when I looked at the details of each of VMware's ISOs for all the different licensed versions they all say the same build #, WTF? Can anyone help me sort out what this is all about. Thanks!

g

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

Those ISOs are all the same. Look at the MD5 values for each version of ESXi listed. They are all the same. The easiest way to figure this out is to log in to the licensing portal and see what version you have purchased. You may also be able to look at your licensed features and figure it out, but this will be a lot more work.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

Those ISOs are all the same. Look at the MD5 values for each version of ESXi listed. They are all the same. The easiest way to figure this out is to log in to the licensing portal and see what version you have purchased. You may also be able to look at your licensed features and figure it out, but this will be a lot more work.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
kgottleib
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks VMroyale - WTF did VMware put all those ISOs up there like that for? Are they OK? are they just trying to confuse people? I appreciate you cutting through the BS on this.

g

0 Kudos
glynnd1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Probably because people would download what was there, and then call support because they wanted Standard or Advanced, and not Enterprise.

Either way some people are going to get confused.

0 Kudos