VMware Cloud Community
jonesliu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to enable the RS232 and USB communication on the guest os of vmware ESXi 4.0

I have installed some software in the guest OS(redhat 5.0) of vmware , it will communicate with device via RS232 or USB

but the communicate fail.

The vmware tools is installed.

I try to edit the vmware attribute , add the com port and USB, but it still doesn`t take effect

Is the RS232 or USB available on the guest OS?

How to enable RS232 and USB??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

USB and serial are not available in a guest. There are network based IP serial and IP usb devices which can be used.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jonesliu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

IS the RS232 not available on the guestOS

0 Kudos
w6vms
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Did you add a serial port and USB device to the VM when you created it?

-jav

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

USB and serial are not available in a guest. There are network based IP serial and IP usb devices which can be used.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
talondsm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've been using USB over Ethernet (http://www.kernelpro.com) for months now - no issues, works fine on x64 2003/2008 R2 even. They have a serial version too. Finnaly ditched the Digi AnywhereUSB - which you can only have one system using it at a time. This program lets you specify which USB device connects to what server, and handles future connections automatically.

jonesliu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much, that to say the physical device attached to server is not available on the guest os

I need to recur to the other device (eg: USB Over Ethernet or Advanced Virtual COM Port ) based on ethernet network

0 Kudos