VMware Cloud Community
Edbsmed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

DNS ROUTING GATEWAY SETTINGS ?

Hello.

I got ESXi 6.0. 32 Gb ram, SSD, 2 Intel NIC.
One NIC for WAN ( static DHCP address from my ISP )
One NIC for LAN ( 192.186.0.1 )

1 VM running Pfsense router/DHCP/DNS/NAT service ( 192.168.0.1 ) Static
1 VM running Web/mail/shared folders ( 192.168.0.10 ) Dhcp ( mac locked )
ESXi got static ip 192.168.0.49

My Question is about DNS and Routing setting in ESXi.

At installation the default ip for dns and gateway is set to 192.168.0.49, the ESXi host it self.
Is that correct ?

Should I set dns to 8.8.8.8./8.8.4.4 OR 192.168.0.1 OR my ISP dns servers ?

Or Preferred dns to 192.168.0.1 and alternate to 192.168.0.49

Or Preferred dns to 8.8.8.8 and alternate to 192.168.0.1

And Default gateway? 192.168.0.1 (on vm ) OR 192.168.0.45 OR my ISP default gateway OR my static ISP ip?

/Brian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Looking at your setup.

let your ESXi host management IP address to be  192.168.0.49

Preffered DNS: 192.168.0.1 , Alternate DNS: leave this blank

Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Now always remember, you are not assigning IP/subnet mask/DG/DNS etc to any physical NICs of your ESXi host, you are assigning these settings to VMKernel Adapter created in ESXi Operating System. Your PFsense which is having two interfaces, one pointing towards public network where you have configured ISP related IP settings, while the other interface which is pointing to internal LAN that has private IP settings so ESXi host vmkernel adapter should be configured according to those private IP settings.

See if this helps.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Looking at your setup.

let your ESXi host management IP address to be  192.168.0.49

Preffered DNS: 192.168.0.1 , Alternate DNS: leave this blank

Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Now always remember, you are not assigning IP/subnet mask/DG/DNS etc to any physical NICs of your ESXi host, you are assigning these settings to VMKernel Adapter created in ESXi Operating System. Your PFsense which is having two interfaces, one pointing towards public network where you have configured ISP related IP settings, while the other interface which is pointing to internal LAN that has private IP settings so ESXi host vmkernel adapter should be configured according to those private IP settings.

See if this helps.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
Edbsmed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello.

Thank you for anser me..

Your fine explanation on the Virtuel/physical levels, make my life a little  more easy. Smiley HappySmiley HappySmiley Happy

I have some issues on low performance, while copying over 1 Gbit lan. Max 25 Mb/sec typical MUCH lower. No problems on the same hw-setup running Windows.

I thought it might be routing/dns calculations that slowed it down, but it gave only at little.

Have to dig deeper to this.

/Brian

0 Kudos