VMware Cloud Community
PF4VMware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXI 5.5 on KGPE-D16 MB with 2xOpteron 6128 -no temperature sensors -I had to use "noipmiEnabled" when I installed -How can I read the tempertature sensors?

Hi guys

I am using vSphere client with ESXi 5.5 U2

The relevant hardware is :

MB: KGPE-D16 MB

CPU: 2xOpteron 6128

RAM: 4x16GB KVMR13D4/16 from Kington  -these modules have temperature sensors

The MB is a server motherboard but it has no other modules for monitoring attached to it

It is installed in a mid-tower chassis, the BIOS can read all the Fan/CPU/RAM sensors

Because the installation was sticking at loading ipmiI had to use "noipmiEnabled" when I installed -How can I read the temperature sensors either using CLI or in vSphere client?

thanks

PF

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavoudTeimouri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Did you sure about ESXi compatibility with the main-board?

I couldn't find it on compatibility portal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Davoud Teimouri - https://www.teimouri.net - Twitter: @davoud_teimouri Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/teimouri.net/
0 Kudos
PF4VMware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No I did not check that but since it is a server grade motherboard I thought I should be able to see basic things and this (temperature sensors) seems to be one of them these days

0 Kudos
eRJe
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the same motherboard and I actually bought the ASMB4 to bypass the ridiculous boot delay and of course to have the extra functions to remote control the server.

The ASMB4 is nothing but a disappointment. It took me a day to get it to work in the first place, well partly. The webinterface is lame and the alert emails are useless because they lack ANY info about the issue. The remote control doesn't work due to a JAVA problem that I was never able to solve. But at least I get to switch ON (or OFF) the server in case of a power failure. Luckily I only pay about 30 euro for the module that has the size of a post stamp.

To come back to you question. What temperatures or info are you looking for to read? I cannot remember how it was before I had the ASMB4 but I am pretty sure you do not need this module to read info in vSphere. vCenter only uses the IPMI to switch on a host instead of using WOL.This is part of the DPM. I do not get more or less info when adding the IPMI login settings in vCenter or leaving it blanc.

I can read the power supply, the fan speeds, the 2 plugin temperature sensors and a lot of info about the 2 CPU's and the memory installed but not the temperature of any if them. When I enter the BIOS I can read all this info (temperatures),

Regards,

Robbert

0 Kudos