VMware Cloud Community
tdupont
Contributor
Contributor

Converting from PVSCSI back to LSI

Recently we created our templates to use PVSCSI adapters not realizing that you can not use this adapter with Fault Tolerance. We built a new domain controller using the template as a base and now we would like to make it FT.

Every time we try and switch the adapter it will blue screen. I have tried the normal method of adding a hard disk to SCSI port 1:0 and making the new SCSI controller LSI while leaving the original SCSI controller PVSCSI. We booted into Windows so that it would load the LSI drivers. We rebooted, changed the old hard disks to be on the new controller and rebooted again. Once we did that, the system blue screens. We can change it back to PVSCSI and it will boot into Windows.

The VM is running Windows 2008 R2 and I tried to repair the boot process using the Windows 2008 R2 DVD with similar results.

I tried to P2V the existing VM in the hopes that during the process it would convert the PVSCSI adapter to LSI for me, but I get an error during the conversion process that it could not write more than one active partition to the partition table. I think this may be due Windows 2008 R2 having a hidden boot partition on the primary hard disk.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
danm66
Expert
Expert

you could try the coldclone.iso to boot the VM from, which is the best way to convert a DC anyways. You download the files from the vcenter server download page. Not sure if it will read the discs using the pvscsi type, but you could try changing it to LSI logic and then booting from the coldclone.iso.

Alternatively, you could try importing the VM from a backup image. Converter supports a few different formats to read from.

tdupont
Contributor
Contributor

The coldclone failed as well (it could not identify the guest OS). I finally gave up, forcably removed the DC from AD, cleaned up the metadata in AD and rebuilt the DC on a fresh new VM using LSI SAS and VMXNET 2(Enhanced) drivers.

Fault tolerance is now working fine for that VM.

One thing I noticed was that the secondary VM was eating up a lot of memory compared to the primary VM. I wonder if this is normal behavior...

I will create a new thread for that question...

Thank you for your assitance.

0 Kudos
tdupont
Contributor
Contributor

I gave up trying to convert back to LSI and rebuilt the VM from scratch without the PVSCSI drivers.

0 Kudos
Silverchenau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

dude:

I opened the case with vmware. It seems PVSCSI has bugs for installing second SCSI to cause issue with boot.

Also, I'm asking them to check out your issue as we..

blog: http://geeksilverblog.com

- Silver My Vmware blog: http://geeksilverblog.com
0 Kudos