VMware Cloud Community
joeseppi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

converting vmware server 1.x guests to ESXi 4.0

After many false starts, now have an apparenlty functional ESXi 4.0 host. All happy and such, got ready to convert my vmware server 1.0.x guests to esxi 4.0.

All stop. I guess, after a long day, I am unable to grasp how I can convert these.

Seems I must use the vmware converter. Since I have only been able to install that on Windows, it appears I must either copy the guest images to a windows, box, do the conversion, and copy them to the esxi box. Is this so?

Is there another way. Well, guess I could install SAMBA on the linux host and share out the vm images, but . . .

0 Kudos
12 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I haven't ever used VMware Server but with converter you can just install it, point it to the box you want to convert, and put it to the box where you want the newly converted server to live. So no matter where you install converter you should be able to convert a remote OS over to your ESXI host.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
joeseppi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the prompt response. I must be missing something, then. It only seems to be offering me a local directory structure to select from, for the source. I had read other tidbits that agree with what you are saying.

Perhaps a revisit with fresh eyes in the AM would be in order. Any other hints welcome.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

If you picked the VMware workstation or other VMware product source type then you will have put in a path to the VMX file. You can do UNC path for this so you could easily share out your directory structure on the VMware server host. You could also choose the powered on machine source and just put in the proper credentials and that would work. Last option would be to install converter inside the machine you want to convert. This blog details the steps for ESX 3.5 but it shouldn't be to different. http://garydrumm.blogspot.com/2008/04/vmware-server-to-esx-server-35.html

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
Jackobli
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Seems I must use the vmware converter. Since I have only been able to install that on Windows, it appears I must either copy the guest images to a windows, box, do the conversion, and copy them to the esxi box. Is this so?

I guess you got "only" a vmware server hosted on linux and the vmware esxi host!?

Using VMware Converter throws in Windows, either does vSpere Client/VI Client! There is no linux client for managing ESX(i), unfortunatly…

Is there another way. Well, guess I could install SAMBA on the linux host and share out the vm images, but . . .

If it's just the problem of moving the VMware server guest images to ESX(i), you may use NFS to share the VMware server file system to ESX(i) and then copy the images with the datastore browser. You may also use the unsupported ssh/scp on ESXi (see: Dave's Website).

0 Kudos
joeseppi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The source is a Linux host. Thus, I cannot see it, in default configurations, on Windows. Apparenlty Converter runs only on Windows.

0 Kudos
Jackobli
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The source is a Linux host. Thus, I cannot see it, in default configurations, on Windows. Apparenlty Converter runs only on Windows.

Perhaps misunderstood the function?

You are not going to convert the whole VMware Server. VMware Converter standalone converts guests!

So you are using Converter to point to one guest (Hostname, IP-Adress) at a given time. Then, on the target, you are choosing your new ESXi to store the converted guest. Like you would convert a physical machine!

0 Kudos
joeseppi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, I don't believe I misunderstood the function. I need to convert the "guest" "image file(s)" to a format understood by esxi 4.0. To do this, apparenlty I need vmware converter.

VMware converter cannot "see" the "guest" files on the Linux vmware server 1.0 "host". So, it cannot convert them.

It will not log in to the vmware server 1.0 host, using IP address, with an error about it being an earlier version of vmware.

So, it appears I must resort to mounting the files I need to convert, in some fashion readable to windows, or, I must copy the files to a windows box, to do the conversion.

I am open to correction/enlightenment.

0 Kudos
Jackobli
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You should use "Source type = Powered on machine". Like converting a physical machine.

Did you already try to open the image files directly on vSpere? Eg. export the datastore of VMware server (Linux) through NFS and mounting it on ESXi as NFS-Datastore?

0 Kudos
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

i would recommend you to install the vmware converter in a windows box.

It isn't obligatory to move/copy the vm's files (guest files) to the box where the vmware converter is installed. The migratión can be made remotely without moving manually the vm's files, just select on the converter tools as source the "powered on machines" (you must provide the guest IP and an administrator user and password) option and point to the esxi 4.0 as destination.

Anyway, there are some caveats when using converter. For example, when converting linux powered virtual machines, just the esx(i) or vCenter destination can be selected.

I would recommend you to check this video and the converter user's guide to gain some basic acknowledge about this tool.

Regards/Saludos,
Pablo

Please consider awarding

any helpful or corrrect answer. Thanks!! -

Por favor considera premiar

cualquier respuesta útil o correcta. ¡¡Muchas gracias!!

Virtually noob blog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
0 Kudos
joeseppi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Major problem - using old version of vmware converter. Installed lastest version, now see what has been referred to. I suspect things will move along now.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Great news. For some reason I never thought to ask what version of converter you were using. Don't forget to mark you post as answered after you get everything completed.

0 Kudos
joeseppi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After downloading the latest vmware converter, standalone, for Linux, I turned off the VM's and converted/migrated them without further issue. I did have to adjust the NIC and one disk driver (on the NetWare VM, actually it did it on it's own), and all is well.

Amazingly, ESXI 4.0 seems to be keeping perfect time on both the NW and SLES hosts. Outstanding.

0 Kudos