VMware Cloud Community
nava_thulasi39
Jump to solution

Blue screen after converting to SCSI controller type from IDE

Hi,

Any idea how to convert IDE controller to SCSI controller in Windows xp (32 Bit) OS?

This VM has just one primary disk.

I followed this KB article, But it leads to Blue screen error

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101619...

Even I tried with lsilogic, but nothing works.

Any idea, how to resove the issue or How to convert IDE controller type to SCSI controller type without Blue screen error?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Now you can do that.

The important thing is your scsi boot disk should be scsi 0000 - this way the second disk 0001 - other way it would try to boot from your empty disk.

After that you can of course delete the additional disk.

Reg

Christian

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Are you facing this issue after P2V usingVMware Converter, If so when you are doing the Conversion you will get a option to select the Controller type, try that way

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
nava_thulasi39
Jump to solution

Hi Aravind,

Thanks for the reply.

No, It's not P2V. There are 3 VMs created with IDE controller type mistakenly 1 month ago.

When we want to expand the C:\, the option is grayed out. This is because of IDE controller type.

Now we need to modify to SCSI controller type (Bus logic or lsi Logic) - Windows XP 32 bit still the default controller type is Bus logic.

I modified ddb.adapterType = "ide" to "buslogic" in VMname.vmdk. Re added the disk in the VM as a scsi controller Bus logic parellel.

But Now there is a blue screen error in the VM.

Any idea or tips to resolve this?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Me again,

you should start with ide first.

Your system need a new driver for e.g. Buslogic controller first.

So you can add a second disk (as scsi) and then try to use vmware buslogic floppy image with buslogic driver to install the driver.

The file name is : vmscsi-1.2.0.2.flp - you can mount it as floppy drive.

Reg

Christian

0 Kudos
nava_thulasi39
Jump to solution

Hi,

Great. I made the first Hard disk as IDE. And added the second disk as SCSI controller and downloaded the SCSI drive, installed it.

Now both the drives are accessible.

So shall i change the first disk to SCSI now?

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Now you can do that.

The important thing is your scsi boot disk should be scsi 0000 - this way the second disk 0001 - other way it would try to boot from your empty disk.

After that you can of course delete the additional disk.

Reg

Christian

0 Kudos
nava_thulasi39
Jump to solution

Perfect.  Great help Smiley Happy

This SCSI driver issues happens only in Windows XP?

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I'm glad it worked for you.

Yes, xp hasn't the right driver on board - so it must be manually installed (eg. by new install over the floppy image).

Reg

Christian

0 Kudos