VMware Cloud Community
fer82
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to query live linux source machine.

Hello,

this error occurs when I try to p2v a Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.2 (Tikanga) with converter standalone 4, in the first step (specify source), so I can't execute the p2v process.

I think this version of OS is not supported by converter 4, but I need to p2v this server anyway,

so any kind of help will be much appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Converting RHEL 5.2 should work. The query to Linux source is over SSH. Please make sure you can actually SSH from your Converter machine to the Linux source with root login, e.g. by trying using other SSH client.

0 Kudos
zgrega
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the same problem when trying to convert local Linux machine (ubuntu 9.04).

ssh root@<machine_IP> works.

excerpt from log:

User agent is 'VMware-client/4.0.0'

HTTP Response: Client: NeedsContentLength: false UnderstandsChunking: true CanKeepAlive: true (PresetContentLength -1)

Testing client connection to agent

Reusing existing agent connection

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 524 bytes)

HTTP Response: Client: NeedsContentLength: false UnderstandsChunking: true CanKeepAlive: true (PresetContentLength -1)

Testing client connection to agent

Reusing existing agent connection

Cannot query source HW info: converter.fault.SysinfoQueryLinuxFault

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 767 bytes)

brg

0 Kudos
fer82
Contributor
Contributor

Hello ,

thanks for the answer. Before posting my issue I searched in forums, and I just check the ssh is working fine with root user.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you post the log (File->Export log in the menu) here? If you don't want to make it public, you can shoot me a private message and I will give you an email to send to.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Skifreak
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I am having the same issue as well. I am currently trying to convert my Linux file Server (Red Hat enterprise 3.0) using VM Converter Standalone which is installed on a Windows XP SP3 box over a local domain. I can SSH in to the server using PUTTY just fine with root credentials. I turned the XP firewall off using a GPO and still getting the error. I can connect to the host with telnet (SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.6.1p2) but get a protocol mismatch. I also checked the .bashrc file for root and there doesn't appear to be a line starting with echo but two that have it in them.

I have attached the log file from converter in hopes someone could help. One more question; do you have to have the agent installed on the remote computer?

I am very new to VMware products so please bear with me if I ask a silly question.

Regards,

0 Kudos
fer82
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

in my case, the trouble was that the kernel of my linux was a xen-kernel. I solved it removing the xen libraries.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
Skifreak
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I'll take a look right away.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Skifreak
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I looked into this and realized Redhat 3 does not utilize xen, it is nowhere to be found on the server.

I found this article KB Article1009153 and followed all of the instructions and still nothing. This is really stumping me, all of the conection protocols are working (ssh, sftp) but I still can't connect.

Thanks for the reply,

0 Kudos
vmweathers
Expert
Expert

hi. Here's the critical error message:

\[#2] \[2009-06-11 14:12:04.506 'App' 2996 error] \[Converter Agent SysinfoQuery] while trying to execute "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\plink.exe -noprompt -stdin -nokeycheck -P 22 root@192.168.11.200 cd /tmp/.vmware-sysinfo-xfpkmjxroydcpxze/; ./vmware-sysinfo-lin32.sh" received error code (127) with result: bash: line 1: ./vmware-sysinfo-lin32.sh: No such file or directory

The tar bundle was indeed copied there successfully, and then untarred successfully (supposedly). So this error indicates that there was some issue running the binary on the remote shell. I have 2 suspicions:

1. there is some problem on the system running a shell script that uses "#!/bin/sh" at its head to execute

2. there is some "security" layer (e.g., bastille linux) preventing the script from being executed

I would hunt through your /var/log files to see if there is any notification of this execution being denied.

Also you should be able to easily reproduce this yourself by following the steps outlined in the logs: make a temp dir over ssh, copy the tar bundle to that temp dir, unpack it, run the binary.

You can then try running the binary locally, as well as over ssh.

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)
0 Kudos
gkhnyldrm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm getting the same error when trying to migrate one of our Suse 10 server to virtual.

I looked under /root directory,there is .bash_history but no .bashrc file exists. (as mentioned at kb.vmware.com/kb/1009153)

Also I run ;

#tail -f /var/log/messages command in source linux machine when I click next on the standalone client source machine returns this messages.

Oct 30 16:26:54 ftp3 sshd[27685]: Accepted keyboard-interactive/pam for root from 10.6.112.24 port 4478 ssh2

Oct 30 16:26:55 ftp3 sshd[27695]: Accepted keyboard-interactive/pam for root from 10.6.112.24 port 4479 ssh2

Oct 30 16:26:55 ftp3 sshd[27705]: Accepted keyboard-interactive/pam for root from 10.6.112.24 port 4480 ssh2

Oct 30 16:26:55 ftp3 sshd[27705]: subsystem request for sftp

Oct 30 16:26:58 ftp3 sshd[27715]: Accepted keyboard-interactive/pam for root from 10.6.112.24 port 4481 ssh2

Oct 30 16:26:58 ftp3 sshd[27727]: Accepted keyboard-interactive/pam for root from 10.6.112.24 port 4482 ssh2

Oct 30 16:26:58 ftp3 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0

Oct 30 16:26:58 ftp3 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0

Oct 30 16:26:59 ftp3 kernel: vmware-sysinfo-[27739] trap divide error rip:412182 rsp:7ffffffc4540 error:0

Oct 30 16:26:59 ftp3 sshd[27742]: Accepted keyboard-interactive/pam for root from 10.6.112.24 port 4485 ssh2

Oct 30 16:27:00 ftp3 sshd[27752]: Accepted keyboard-interactive/pam for root from 10.6.112.24 port 4486 ssh2

I attached agent logs.

Any advice?

0 Kudos
dlueders05
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem... here is my log on the freebsd box, any suggestions? This is FreeBSD 4.9 :

# tail messages

Oct 30 09:36:46 monitoring sshd[1482]: fatal: monitor_read: unsupported request: 24

Oct 30 09:36:52 monitoring sshd[1485]: fatal: monitor_read: unsupported request: 24

Oct 30 09:42:08 monitoring sshd[1929]: fatal: monitor_read: unsupported request: 24

Oct 30 09:42:41 monitoring sshd[1946]: fatal: monitor_read: unsupported request: 24

Oct 30 09:44:19 monitoring sshd[2086]: fatal: monitor_read: unsupported request: 24

Oct 30 09:49:50 monitoring sshd[2497]: error: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0 failed: Address already in use.

Oct 30 09:49:50 monitoring sshd[2497]: fatal: Cannot bind any address.

Oct 30 09:50:13 monitoring sshd[2609]: error: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0 failed: Address already in use.

Oct 30 09:50:13 monitoring sshd[2609]: fatal: Cannot bind any address.

Oct 30 09:57:07 monitoring sshd[2997]: fatal: Timeout before authentication for 10.0.254.154

#

0 Kudos
dlueders05
Contributor
Contributor

In fact I looked and i don't have a /root/.bashrc file... is this an issue?

# ls

.Xauthority .mozilla XF86Config.new

.cpan .mysql_history dead.letter

.cshrc .profile mod_php4-4.3.8_2,1.tgz

.fonts.cache-1 .rnd php4-4.3.8_2.tgz

.history .ssh y

.klogin .xinitrc

.login .xsession

0 Kudos
markodatacenter
Contributor
Contributor

Had the same issue, "Unable to query live linux source machine" in both converter 4.0.0 and 4.0.1, so I figured out it was the linux machine.

The post from vmweathers helped me, when the same kind of message was present in the converter agent logs, where a shell script could not be executed (Permission denied), this is because we had the /tmp directory secured so shell scripts could not be executed.

Allow shell script execution in the /tmp directory if you get this error when you meet the requirements of KB 1009153

Hope this helps anyone hitting the same issue.

Marko

VCP VI3/vSphere 4, VTSP4

Marko VCP VI3/vSphere 4, VTSP4
0 Kudos
marqcd
Contributor
Contributor

Removing VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 4.0.x ,

Then rebooting the PC

Then reinstalling VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 4.0.x ,

Resolved this issue for me

0 Kudos
Voritgern
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to convert an old Cobalt Raq and get the same error.

It looks to be due it having an old version of glibc

-lin32: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.2' not found (required by ./vmware-sysinfo-lin32)

./vmware-sysinfo-lin32: /lib/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.2' not found (required by ./vmware-sysinfo-lin32)

./vmware-sysinfo-lin32: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.2' not found (required by /home/tmp/.vmware-sysinfo-duimphtscqpwoxjz/libstdc++.so.6)

./vmware-sysinfo-lin32: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.2.4' not found (required by /home/tmp/.vmware-sysinfo-duimphtscqpwoxjz/libgcc_s.so.1)

./vmware-sysinfo-lin32: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.2' not found (required by /home/tmp/.vmware-sysinfo-duimphtscqpwoxjz/libxml2.so.2)

./vmware-sysinfo-lin32: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.2' not found (required by /home/tmp/.vmware-sysinfo-duimphtscqpwoxjz/libparted-1.8.so.8)

I'm not sure there is going to be a way around this, without having to change the glibc that's running on the server.

0 Kudos
pdalbhan
Contributor
Contributor

just copy the 2 files plink.exe, pscp.exe into your converter installation folder (C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone).

I realized this after reinstalling converter and cross checking with another system that these files were missing + you know spending a lot of time troubleshitting

who stole those files (maybe santa) or upgrading from 4.0.1 to 4.3

0 Kudos
saleonovich
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have the same situation.

few weeks ago we convert two application RH servers  without any problem.

but today we start convert DataBase RH server and have thae same situation look like you.

sorry for asking, you solve this problem?

Appreciated for any help.

Thank you.

Alex

0 Kudos