VMware Cloud Community
ron_fu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Question P2V when Hypervisor is not reachable

Hi all

I just checked the VM Converter to virtualise a Win2k8 Server . My problem is the physical Machine is not connected to the Network where the Hypervisor is. So I cannot create the VM on the fly.

Is there a solution to create the files of the server on a external drive connected to the server, take it with me and import the machine at the Hypervisor?

regards Ron

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can convert runnning VMs to Workstation format at local storage, move them, and then convert from Worstation format to ESX. HTH

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can convert runnning VMs to Workstation format at local storage, move them, and then convert from Worstation format to ESX. HTH

0 Kudos
ron_fu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank's that's what I'm looking for.

When P2V a 2008R2 Server I have to use the Version 5.01 of the Converter! That's odd!

With 5.5 I got a credentials fault when choosing the destination!

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

That's strange but you can try to start the GUI in client-server mode where the credentials for SMB share are asked explicitly. HTH

0 Kudos
kjw1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry to jump this thread but this sounds like what I need to do .. so if I understand you're saying let it use the Workstation 8 option .. that will create a file ... so whats the next step .. how to get that into my VMWare environment?

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The next step is to convert WS files to VC/ESX targets. HTH

0 Kudos
kjw1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK .. now can I assume I do that with Converter? ..

I have a file .. well a folder really with VMDKs and VMX files ... so now what? Can I mount that on a workstation, run converter and point to it and tell it destination is on the vCenter ? ....

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You don't need Workstation. Simply select hosted source type in Converter wizard (i.e. "VMware Workstation or other VMware virtual machine") and browse for the .vmx file. Then select the vCenter as destination.

0 Kudos