continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Please fix the download for Converter 3.0.3

I just noticed that the VMware download page no longer offers Converter 3.0.3

This link used to work until recently
http://download3.vmware.com/software/converter/VMware-converter-3.0.3-89816.exe

Please fix this ASAP.
At the moment the file is only available at non-vmware sites.

Thanks

0 Kudos
12 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

that link does not help - it just says that 3.0.3 is no longer supported

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Are you think that unsupported tool could be downloaded? I don't think so.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I would agree with you in most other cases but not in this one.

In this case unsupported does not mean that there is no more use for this tool - on the contrary.
Version 3.0.3 is the only Converter-version which has a Coldclone switch.

Aside from that it usually imports Windows 2000, XP and 2003 correctly at the first attempt - because it correctly configures the P2V job to use vmscsi-controller. All later versions fail in this respect.

I also dont ask for support - I only ask for a download-link so that we dont have to use obscure sources like
http://www.brothersoft.com/vmware-converter-158647.html

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I don't agree at first that the Converter could not convert XP, 2k and 2k3 Windows!

I'm not a lawyer and don't want to advocate this depreciation decision but downloading Converter 3.x from 3-rd party sites seems illegal, as example could you download legal XP installation form Microsoft's site now?

Your requirement IMO is untenable Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> I don't agree at first that the Converter could not convert XP, 2k and 2k3 Windows!

I never said that !
Lets take an example ...
P2V an XP that runs on IDE-disks on physical hardware.

If you do the job with 3.0.3 you will get a successful conversion using VMscsi-controller.
Same task done with 5.0 using defaults will fail as you get an IDE-disk.

I also dont think that comparing Microsoft XP with a tool that was available as a free download  for years makes sense.
Users that need 3.0.3 for a task that cant be done with later versions will download it from where ever ....

0 Kudos
Ameliad
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VMware may, at its discretion, retire software at any time upon notice.
Converter 3.x reached End of Support in 2010.
We announced the impending end of availability of Converter 3.x two months before the releases were removed from the website in early May 2012.

We advise users to move to the latest Converter Standalone release.

0 Kudos
timantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

They finally retired the ColdClone iso?  Wow... good thing I kept a copy!

-Tim Antonowicz @timantz VCDX 112
0 Kudos
chanai
Contributor
Contributor

If for some reason you need the converter 3.0.3 you are royaly screwed. As continuum pointed out the best results given with this release , is not to trow away lightly. I needed one yesterday and i could "illegaly" download it somewhere else , but is that the best possible solution ? its just 30 MB - your server should be fine without that 30 MB ...

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Another vote for bringing back the VMware Converter cold clone CD.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
DmaxGuy
Contributor
Contributor

In other words you're saying this: Use a tool that doesn't work.

This is something that has always amazed me about big, bureaucratic companies. Some stuffed shirt that has no experience in the trenches makes a decision about deprecating software, and everyone else in the organization has to spit out the party line like you just did.
Bottom line: People still need to convert Windows 2000 machines on occasion. If you still support it as a guest OS in ESXi 5, you should provide a way to convert machines from that OS. Doesn't that make sense to you?
/rant
0 Kudos
voidp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Converter 3.0.3 is still 'available' for download from VMware via archive.org.  Follow the link, scroll down to October, and click the 20th.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110801000000*/http://download3.vmware.com/software/converter/VMware-co...

MD5:  28845a3b2c0ed6e0c0a4a3db73b71961

SHA1: 29ed0cc664df0a7caba542ad1d3e18eb3aed4e96

0 Kudos