VMware Cloud Community
McServer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Linux VM Conversion

Hi,

Just a quick question for this one. When setting up the conversion process for a linux VM using 'VMware center converter standalone 5' I noted that there is no option to sync it after conversion. I'm guessing there is something fundamentally different which might explain this and apologize if I should have seen it. My question is why is this? Can it be manually done after conversion or is there no need for conversion? If so, why?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ivivanov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Unfortunately this is correct.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
ivivanov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The "architecture" for converting Windows and Linux is totally different. For Windows an Agent is installed on the source, it creates VSS snapshot and installs a changes-tracking driver on the source and performs the cloning.

On the other hand for Linux the cloning process is performed from the "helper" VM which is actually the target VM booted from an ISO image. There is no agent installed on the source, no snapshotting support on the source (except for LVM volumes) and no changes-tracking driver for Linux, so with the current architecture it cannot be implemented.

Contributor
Jump to solution

So in converting a linux VM I must be prepared to loose any changes made during the conversion process?

0 Kudos
ivivanov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Unfortunately this is correct.

Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

From my understanding , if doing a V2V of a Linux VM, it has to be powered off.  There would be nothing to sync. The "helper" VM gets powered on, but the source needs to remain powered down.

McServer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, I appricate your quick responce. This may not be the place to ask but is there another method of moving / converting the VM that I could look into?

0 Kudos
McServer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will give this a try. I actually had run into a complete failure of the VM to convert the last time I tried but wanted to get the question of sync figured out. Perhaps this is why I could not get past 3% conversion. Thank you, I will give this a try later.

0 Kudos
ivivanov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This is correct, however Linux V2V does not support reconfiguration on the target and there is a chance the target VM would not boot and the source would be down for all the time the conversion is running. If it is OK to have downtime for the source, it is possible to stop all importaint "changes-generating" services and then perform P2V with reconfiguration. Of course V2V tried as well and if the target boots without reconfiguration - then all is good.

Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can treat the vm as a physical server, and perform the same conversion hot, with the same caveat, that there is no sync option.

I've also had problems with the helper vm not booting when pointing converter to vCenter, as opposed to an ESX host directly.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
McServer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had tried the conversion process last week with the VM in a powered up state but it failed at 3%. Do you think there is a chance of the conversion working with the VM powered off? I am concerned I may be opening a whole new can of worms as any previous attempt to even setup an offline conversion has thus far failed. 

0 Kudos
ivivanov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It depends on the reason for failing... In general performing V2V is much simpler as it basically does just a file copy from the source to the target as opposed to the P2V conversion, which has a lot of moving parts. However keep in mind that it is possible the target VM would not boot because reconfiguration (the part responsible for making the target bootable in a virtual environment) is not supported for Linux V2V conversions.

Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Point converter to an ESX host directly, I've had Linux P2V conversions fail early on because the helper vm was not able to boot.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos