VMware Cloud Community
McServer
Contributor
Contributor

Offline VM Conversion requirements?

If I want to power down a virtual machine to enable the possibility of an offline transfer / conversion to a vSphere 5 system what needs to be installed in terms of "Management tools" on the system that currently hosts the VM's?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

McServer wrote:

If I want to power down a virtual machine to enable the possibility of an offline transfer / conversion to a vSphere 5 system what needs to be installed in terms of "Management tools" on the system that currently hosts the VM's?

I would use VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 5.0

0 Kudos
McServer
Contributor
Contributor

I using that version of the converter. The converter is installed on my own system (a domain computer) and I have been trying to convert the VM's in online mode but have been having nothing but trouble... except for 1 that for whatever reason worked... anyhow. Are you saying that the host system (VMWare infrastructure) must have the full converter 5 installed on it for me to contact it to start the offline stuff?

What I am getting at is can I install only some of the components so that I am still configuring the job from my system?

Message was edited by: McServer

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

assuming your guest is running in an vSphere or VI3 environment and the VM is powered down, your source and destination will be VMware Infrastructure virtual machine.  From there provide the appropriate credentials to your vCenter/ESX(i) source as well as the destination.  In between source and destination, follow the prompts. There will be no need to install any additonal agents/software.

0 Kudos
McServer
Contributor
Contributor

This is the error that had be wondering if I must install some sort of agent on the system where the VM's actually reside:

"Unable to contact the specified host 'x.x.x.x'. The host might not be available on the network, there might be a network configuration problem, or the management services on this host are not responding."

I have removed the ip as I cannot reveal any of my inner network. Is this refering to a failure on my local host (where I am issuing the commands from) or the host that I am issuing the commends to (where the VM's are)?

Thanks,

---

Added: There are no network config errors and I have confirmed the host is up and running.

Message was edited by: McServer

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you have all the proper  ports open?

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1010056

0 Kudos
McServer
Contributor
Contributor

My mistake. I was using VMWare Server 2.x and as such was selecting the wrong option. Now that I have used the appropriate option I am good to go and making progress. Thank you!!!

0 Kudos