VMware Cloud Community
jackychencoffee
Contributor
Contributor

VDP backup redhat enterprise 5 issue

I met one strange issue about using VDP to backup one redhat enterprise 5 server. The backup successfully. But during backup period, our monitor system found this redhat not able to reach for several seconds(our monitor system monitoring server every 30 seconds).

We are using Vsphere 5.1 and vcenter is 5.1. VDP version is 5.1

Backup all the other window server normally without any issue and the vmware tools on linux server also up to date.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks a lot.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
jackychencoffee
Contributor
Contributor

Can anyone give an idea for it?

Thanks very much....

0 Kudos
milton123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Reduce the TIME_WAIT by setting the tcp_fin_timeout kernel value on /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_fin_timeout, using the command echo 30 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_fin_timeout to set it to 30 seconds.

Increase the range of ephemeral ports by setting ip_local_port_range kernel value on /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range, using the command echo "32768 65535" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range, this will set the port range from 32768 to 65535.

The kernel value parameters aren't saved with these commands, and are  reset to the default values on system reboot, thus make sure to place  the commands on a system startup script such as /etc/rc.local.

Cheers, Udin

0 Kudos
jackychencoffee
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Milton,

Thanks for your help.

I will try it and give you a feedback for that.

0 Kudos
jackychencoffee
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Milton,

Still have same issue....

I tried to monitor manually by ping. I found it will lose about 10 packages....

Have any other idea for it?

It is make me crazy.....

0 Kudos
jackychencoffee
Contributor
Contributor

Nobody can give any idea for suggestion?

By the way, I previous installed one Symantec Backup Exec 2012 agents on this linux machine, it is this reason result my issue?

Thanks in advanced!

0 Kudos
jackychencoffee
Contributor
Contributor

Update.....

After contact with Vmware support. The issue should come from snapshot..

We tried to manually create snapshot and remove it. Then we found, during create snapshot process, it seems fine. But while try to remove the snapshot, our linux will lose about 7 package, it is unormal.

Then we made another test, we create snapshot without select snapshot memory(by default, this option has been selected). On this situation, while we remove the snapshot, it is fine. Only 1 package lost.

So, the issue may come from VDP create snapshot with memeory selection and our this linux has 20GB memory. Then while we remove snapshot it will result our linux not available for about 7 packages.

More updates or news about it, I will post it here.

0 Kudos