VMware Cloud Community
AllBlack
Expert
Expert

Host is not licensed for VMware data recovery appliance?

Hey,

Last week I installed VDR on ESXi4, I assigned an enterprise license and it worked just fine.

We were planning to do some in-depth testing now but all the backups fail!?

It says my hosts are not licensed. They all have enterprise licenses and that should be sufficient.

I even tried an evaluation license but that did not work anymore either. Rebooting the VDR appliance does not help either

Cheers

Please consider marking my answer as "helpful" or "correct"

0 Kudos
11 Replies
mjsvirt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What version of VDR? I believe the latest update of VDR takes care of this.

Jason Silva http://silvaecs.com http://twitter.com/silvaecs
0 Kudos
AllBlack
Expert
Expert

1.0.1.0 we have.

I migrated the appliance to a different host and that seems to work.

Does the host that holds VDR have to have an enterprise license as well or just

the ones that hold the target VMs?

Cheers

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

There were some corner licensing issues (especially as VMs migrated) that we resolved with version 1.0.1 that is available for download

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Does the host that holds VDR have to have an enterprise license as well or just the ones that hold the target VMs?

The error message isn't clear. I checked my licenses and they are fine, despite the error. So I have 2 hosts that are identical, I even swapped licenses just to be sure, and one of them will not backup. It did before I reinstalled ESX and redeployed VDR, now it won't.. among other things that aren't working with VDR.

So I had / have the same issue as you. I wouldn't think the host where VDR is would make a difference, since you aren't doing backups on that server (or maybe you are?). In my case I have a utility server to host different VM's but they aren't backup source VM's, it appears to look at the license where the VM's you want to backup are stored.

0 Kudos
AllBlack
Expert
Expert

The host where VDR was located had been changed to Standard, however the VM I wanted o backup was on an enterprise licensed server.

After moving it I was able to do some work. Oh, I also rebooted the appliance.

I have been playing around with VDR over the last day and everything seems to fall in place slowly. Everything I am trying seems

to succeed.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

we resolved with version 1.0.1 that is available for download

I can't speak for the other gentleman that started this thread but WE are using 1.01 of VDR.. I can tell you that as of this moment that's the error I get.

On 2 equal machines, same hardware, even installed ESX the same way, one will backup the other will not even changing licenses around doesn't make a difference, so I would have to say this isn't completely fixed.

0 Kudos
AllBlack
Expert
Expert

Yes, we are using 1.0.1.362

All just seems to have fallen into place and it just works. Hopefully it will stay this way Smiley Happy

I am going to get one of my peers to test it and if all OK start using it for our image backups.

Legato will remain our primary backup source though

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Just to confirm what you are seeing:

1) You have ESX4 (or ESXi4) running on two hosts - identical hardware - lets call them Host A and Host B.

2) You have VDR 1.0.1 running (both appliance and plug-in). Which host is the VDR appliance running on? Is there a third ESX4/ESXi4 host where the VDR VM is located on?

3) You have one of the following vSphere editions/license rassigned to Host A and Host B - Essentials Plus, Advanced, Enterprise, Enterprise Plus

4) When you try to backup any VM on Host A using VDR, that works. However, when attempting to backup any VM on Host B, that fails with a license error.

Is this correct? If not, can you clarify?

0 Kudos
MikeDelta
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

I can confirm the problem - we use the vSphere 4 Enterprise Plus Edition with 3 ESX4, an EquaLogic SAN with some DataStores and Data Recovery 1.0.1.362 ! I´m setting up a test vm for scheduled daily backup and the first 5 backups are created without any problems! After that i have the same license problem the other people reported!

The Data Recovery vm runs on the ESX Host Number 2 - i do some tests with our Cluster and can see when i´m trying to backup other vm i´ve got the same license error on some vm running on ESX Host 1 and ESX Host 2! All ESX Hosts are licensed correctly and i don´t understand what is wrong!

Nice...after rebooting the Data Recovery Appliance all works fine...hope the next Version works better!

Regards!

Michael

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Are you running VDR version 1.0.0 or 1.0.1? This should have been fixed in version 1.0.1 - available for download from vmware.com

Thanks

0 Kudos
MikeDelta
Contributor
Contributor

I´m running VDR 1.0.1.362 and i think this problem was not fixed properly!

Regards!

Michael

0 Kudos