VMware Communities
sakuraitbai
Contributor
Contributor

VMDK corrupted

I can't start my vm , help! the vmdk is corrupted.

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
24 Replies
sakuraitbai
Contributor
Contributor

Any one has the idea ??

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi sakuraitbai,

If you could upload a copy of the VMX as well as a directory listing for the VM folder to this thread. Not sure I'm going to be much help but we can but try Smiley Happy

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
sakuraitbai
Contributor
Contributor

file uploaded

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hello
If your vmdk is smaller than 950 Gb you may try to repair it with vmware-vdiskmanager version 7.
See VMware Knowledge Base
If that does not help you may try to convert the VMDK with Starwind V2Vconverter.
It may also be possible to read the vmdk with WinImage.
For troubleshooting please attach the vmware.log of that VM and the vmware-vdiskmanager.log

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If the previous hints don't help, then download dsfok.zip from http://faq.sanbarrow.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=47&id=111&artlang=en, extract the executables to the VM's folder, run the below mentioned command in the VM's folder, then compress/zip the "xxx-....bin" file and attach the .zip archive to a reply post

for %i in (*.vmdk) do @dsfo.exe "%i" 0 1536 "xxx-%~ni.bin"

This should hopefully contain basic details about the .vmdk's metadata, i.e. how much data I will need to run a metadata check.

Unless already done, make sure you backup the VM's files, prior to running repair tools!

André

0 Kudos
sakuraitbai
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible to post the VMware-vdiskmanager 7.0 here ?

and can I check my VMware-vdiskmanager version ?

0 Kudos
sakuraitbai
Contributor
Contributor

bin file from dsfo.exe

0 Kudos
sakuraitbai
Contributor
Contributor

pastedImage_1.png

is my vdiskmanager update enough ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Ok, the header looks ok. Now run the above command with the modified number of bytes to extract. This will extract the grain directories, and grain tables.

for %i in (*.vmdk) do @dsfo.exe "%i" 0 7929856 "yyy-%~ni.bin"

Regarding the other question. You can find vmware-vdiskmanager v7 as an attachment in https://kb.vmware.com/kb/1023856. Other than mentioned in the KB article, do not rename the .exe file, as this will overwrite the current one.

André

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

To further clarify - you should see an attachment section like this in the KB link provided to download the older vmware-vDiskManager:

VMware Attachments.jpg

Will be on the right hand side above the "Info" panel.

0 Kudos
sakuraitbai
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to click on the KB. but it's a blank page

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
sakuraitbai
Contributor
Contributor

Can upload to vmwarevdiskmanager - Google Drive ?

thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

This is most likely an issue with IE. Try another browser.

André

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

I just clicked on it here, from Chrome, and got to the article and downloaded the 3 attachments myself successfully.

0 Kudos
sakuraitbai
Contributor
Contributor

HI here is the result running the downloaded VMware vdiskmanager

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hello
where did you put the downloaded 1023856-vdiskmanager-windows-7.0.1.exe ?
Create a new directory for the file - dont put it into C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation.
Then copy libeay32.dll from C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\ to the new directory and try again.
If that fails again - you may need an older version of that dll. If that is the case let me know. I still have WS 7 running and can provide the original dll.

0 Kudos
sakuraitbai
Contributor
Contributor

thanks

pastedImage_0.png

but still not able to start

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Not sure whether I can help, but if you provide the .vmdk file's metadata including the grain directories/tables (see one of my previous posts) I will take a look at it.

André

0 Kudos
sakuraitbai
Contributor
Contributor

here is the list

0 Kudos