VMware Cloud Community
Almero
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

IBM X3650M4 ESXi5.1 cannot boot

Hi Guys , I have 10 of the new IBM X3650m4 7159 c2g Servers doing the same . I can install but not boot . The moment it gets to Scheduler on bootup , the server restarts .

Needless to say I went through BIOS/UEFI settings and ensured the obvious ones like VT and EX are correctly set .

Went through VMware HCL , and that looks ok .

VMware Compatibility Guide: System Search

As ESXi never boots , I cannot check ye good old vmkernel / Hostd l/ messages logs .

Am I the only one , and do you have any recommendations ?

I must mention these new IBM UEFI BIOS has MANY new undocumented settings .

Tried the closest IBM KB , but it does not go that deep  .

http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=migr-5089562

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Almero
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi there managed to resolve this , but you wont like the  answer .

Firstly , by scheduler , I mean , that if you do not have VERY specific Firmware level on  BIOS / EFI the ESXi5.1 boot up will not succeed . Host will reboot during ESXI start up , more specifically when CPU scheduler is started . This is booting from internal SAS , and with Intel E5-2600 Chipset .

For this config to work we need BIOS level 1.5.1 Build number VVE134TUS . Anything lower of higher than that , will bring back the problem .

To be fair , if you do a deep level search on this Intel chipset , this is listed as the only certified Bios version . Ooops .

Will have to make a note never to flash these systems , as we don't want to repeat this process again  .

I have attached the place where ESXi will reboot  , for anybody  else that might have this problem .

Lost like 3 day in resolving this .

Where system crashes.jpg

View solution in original post

5 Replies
fuchsbe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Almero,

we already installed a couple of IBM x3650 M4 with ESXi 5.1 - do you boot from internal disks on a ServeRAID controller or from a USB stick?

What exactly do you mean with "Scheduler on bootup"? Do you see the boot menu from ESXi already or not?

regards,

Benjamin

0 Kudos
Almero
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi there managed to resolve this , but you wont like the  answer .

Firstly , by scheduler , I mean , that if you do not have VERY specific Firmware level on  BIOS / EFI the ESXi5.1 boot up will not succeed . Host will reboot during ESXI start up , more specifically when CPU scheduler is started . This is booting from internal SAS , and with Intel E5-2600 Chipset .

For this config to work we need BIOS level 1.5.1 Build number VVE134TUS . Anything lower of higher than that , will bring back the problem .

To be fair , if you do a deep level search on this Intel chipset , this is listed as the only certified Bios version . Ooops .

Will have to make a note never to flash these systems , as we don't want to repeat this process again  .

I have attached the place where ESXi will reboot  , for anybody  else that might have this problem .

Lost like 3 day in resolving this .

Where system crashes.jpg

john23
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Almero,

Good you have troubleshoot the issue... one way you can help other, if you have time.... create a document and share in VMTN.

-A

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
wellmore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just un-boxed a brand new x3650 M4 7915 with BIOS 1.73 and the VMware 5.1 DVD installer is hanging at the 'initializing scheduler...' . I tried switching the BIOS boot-mode to UEFI only and Legacy Only with not success; still hangs at same spot. I tried the ESXi 5.5 DVD installer and I am getting the following error during installation (attached). This is our third x3650 M4 7915 server, the prior two installs were fine...

As per IBM, they do not recommend downgrading BIOS.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Almero
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi have you tried installing ESXi5.5.x , just as a test ? I also disabled the unused PCI Riser cards/busses .

0 Kudos