VMware Cloud Community
NelsonC2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

usb dongle support

It is my understanding that ESX 4 supports usb to the VM's. I also understand that VMotion doesn't support the VM's that use usb dongles. I plugged a usb dongle into the ESX 4 host, however I do not see where I need to configure the VM's to use the usb dongle. Can someone please point in the direction of the documentation or tell me what configurations changes need to be made to make the usb dongle(s) visible to the VM's?

Gracious,

Nelson

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
microkid
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

ESX doesn't support USB pass-through, like in VMware Workstation etc. If you need access to USB dongles and also need vMotion, you could take a look at the Anywhere USB solution from Digi (http://www.digi.com/products/usb/anywhereusb.jsp). It allows you to access USB devices over the TCP/IP network. Works with most Windows systems.

We have good experiences with this and just love it Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
microkid
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

ESX doesn't support USB pass-through, like in VMware Workstation etc. If you need access to USB dongles and also need vMotion, you could take a look at the Anywhere USB solution from Digi (http://www.digi.com/products/usb/anywhereusb.jsp). It allows you to access USB devices over the TCP/IP network. Works with most Windows systems.

We have good experiences with this and just love it Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Digi's USBAnywhere solution will still work with vSphere but vSphere now supports USB passthrough to the VM

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
microkid
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Might be, but passthrough is no option with vMotion, HA, DRS etc Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
dab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

... but vSphere now supports USB passthrough to the VM

Have I missed something? Where can I configure this?

Daniel

---

0 Kudos
NelsonC2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, how do I configure usb passthrough in vSphere? USB over IP is not an option right now.

0 Kudos
NelsonC2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare tech support has just advised me that pass-through is not supported and their is no eta on the release of this feature. Before posting, please ensure that the information you are providing is indeed a fact.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

interesting USB pass through was one of the announced new features to vSphere - must be issues with its implementation that I was not aware of -

0 Kudos
NelsonC2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"New USB Pass-Through for Virtual Machines

Although you can add USB controllers to virtual machines, attaching USB devices is not supported."

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:yBL-croZPpAJ:www.vmware.com/support/vsphere4/doc/vsp_esx40_vc40_...vsphereusbpassthrough&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

0 Kudos
NelsonC2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I use usb dongles for licensing partically utilizing flexLM. Do you have a similar architecture? If so, are there any cons when using AnywhereUSB?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

"New USB Pass-Through for Virtual Machines

Although you can add USB controllers to virtual machines, attaching USB devices is not supported."

Gee... now THAT seems so very useful! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
ISexpress
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can someone confirm if USB support is supported in 4.1 but not in 4.0.0?

Thanks

0 Kudos