VMware Cloud Community
pete2224
Contributor
Contributor

Vm will not start due to "another task is already in progress" but...

Now the error just changed to "a general system error occurred" and this says "the action cannot be performed in the current state [Powered Off]."

The machine gets to 95% and seems to freeze in the status bar under Events.

To clarify: machine will not power on when hitting the green arrow in vsphere or when using the menu.

It takes 5 minutes to hit the error.

Preceding this, I had to shutdown a new install of Linux because it froze in the vmsphere window.

I then had to reboot the server where Esxi is installed which I thought would clear it up.

Most directions I found for first error was about snapshots and I don't use that tool.

I'm new to troubleshooting, I just test things out so if anyone could give me some steps, that would be great.

The only other thing I noticed is that when I first reconnected to the host through vsphere, I see that under the status of this vm it says "virtual host on localhost is resumed." Maybe it thinks it's recovered itself?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

a couple things.  When the VM guests to 95% do you see a question mark?  If you right click on the VM do you get something like question--answer question?

If not, have you tried restarting the managment agents of the host in which this guest is registered on?

0 Kudos
pete2224
Contributor
Contributor

Since the error has changed,  I will mark this answered and repost.

The machine has finally powered on after 4 tries and it is now stuck in some boot window I don't recognize.

I saw this before when it crashed.  No idea why it's saying the filesystem is extfs2 is that on vmware?

It's like it's going at 1% of normal boot speed, now it says GRUB loading stage 2 now it looped back to

root (hd0,4)

FilesystemType is extfs2, partition type 0 x 83

kernel /vmlinuz -3.1.0- 1.2 desktop root=/dev/disk/by-uuid...

There is also a line with initrd /initrd -3.1.0 -1.2 desktop

And it pauses there a long time like 15 minutes and then GRUB starts....

do you know what this is?

And now I just noticed my Windows vm will also not start it's sitting at 95% too.

It just lists a start time for "Power in Virtual Machine."

Does it sound like this install is just corrupted?

0 Kudos
pete2224
Contributor
Contributor

Error has changed so I reposted.

0 Kudos