VMware Cloud Community
nesineal
Contributor
Contributor

Attempted to read or write protected memory

We were running ESX Server 3.0.2 and Virtual Infrastructure Client 2.0 until today when we upgraded to 3.5 and 2.5, respectively. Now when trying to run the virtual machines through VIC I get this error:

"Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt."

We get the same error on a fresh install on a different machine. We were able to create a new virtual machine just fine, but when we click on 'Edit virtual machine' or try to look at the console, same error.

Interestingly, when accessing through Firefox, everything works fine.

Anybody seen this yet? If so, any solutions?

0 Kudos
36 Replies
richwoz
Contributor
Contributor

I've got the same problem in the same scenario.

Was running Eval of ESX server 3.0.2 and VI Client 2.0 then upgraded to ESX 3.5 and VI client 2.5.

I get that problem when I try to upload ISO file to a Datastore, and if i try to install a VM from a Host or Client CD I get "Unknown MKS Event"

No solution yet.

How about you?

0 Kudos
gilbertmc
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem! Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
nesineal
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE:

It seems that this is a random occurance. I have run VIC just fine some days, and others I can't look at anything in the Virtual Machines. Regardless, using the web interface through Firefox has continued to work -- though IE 7.0 crashes.

0 Kudos
asutosh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Some times this kind of error pops up when you have different version of VI client and VC server.

Make sure you are using the latest GA version of VI Client and server.

0 Kudos
smashp
Contributor
Contributor

Im getting the Same Error on two seperate fully updated windows vista machines.

I do not get this error on another win 2k3 server using the vi client

Its a dot net 2.0 bug in the code i imagine

0 Kudos
rixu
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the same problem, both with upgraded ESX Server (3.0.1 -> 3.5) and a fresh install. Also I noticed that while with Firefox I can use Console and the Add Hardware, even Firefox crashes when trying to mount any media on the virtual machine (which makes installing an operating system a bit hard...)

Is there any resolution to this yet?

0 Kudos
SteveMal
Contributor
Contributor

Definitely a dot net bug, I've reinstalled dot net and removed/installed the newest VIC and it's doing the same thing. We need a resolution for this BAD. Help VMware!

0 Kudos
gilbertmc
Contributor
Contributor

I've installed .NET Framework 3.5 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6&displa... and I now it works perfectly VMWare Infrastructure Client 3.5

0 Kudos
SteveMal
Contributor
Contributor

Tried .NET 3.5, still not working. Same error as before.

0 Kudos
nogger
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem. Reinstalling the client / components didn't do any good, nor did dotNet 3.5.

It also seems to write some 8M dumps in C:\Documents and Settings\<profile>\Application Data\VMware

Here's a stacktrace if it helps someone debugging. Gibberish for me Smiley Happy

-

System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt. at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.CoCreateInstance(Guid& clsid, Object punkOuter, Int32 context, Guid& iid) at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.CreateWithoutLicense(Guid clsid) at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.CreateWithLicense(String license, Guid clsid) at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.CreateInstanceCore(Guid clsid) at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.CreateInstance() at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.GetOcxCreate() at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.TransitionUpTo(Int32 state) at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.CreateHandle() at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible) at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.EndInit() at VpxClient.Common.ClientDeviceMKS.InitializeComponent() at VpxClient.Common.ClientDeviceMKS..ctor() at VpxClient.Common.UiCommands.VirtualMachine.Edit(VirtualMachine vm) Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt. Stack Trace: at VirtualInfrastructure.Utils.Log.Trace(String text, String caption, TraceType type) at VpxClientCommon.Util.Dialogs.ShowException(Exception e) at VpxClient.Common.UiCommands.VirtualMachine.Edit(VirtualMachine vm) at VpxClient.SummaryView.mCommandList_ItemClicked(Object sender, CommandListItem item) at VMware.CustomControls.CommandList.ItemLabelClick(Object sender, EventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Label.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg) at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData) at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context) at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context) at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run() at VpxClient.UI.StartUp(Dictionary`2 specMap, String[] arguments, LoginEventHandler handler, String dllPath) at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) at System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags bindingFlags, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] providedArgs, ParameterModifier[] modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParams) at VpxClient.Login.Launcher.UIInvoke(String methodName, Object[] args) at VpxClient.Login.Launcher.UIStartup(Dictionary`2 specMap, String[] commandLine, Delegate h, String dllPath) at VpxClient.Login.Launcher.OnStartup(Dictionary`2 specMap, String[] commandLine, Delegate d, String path) at VpxClient.Login.Launcher.<>c__DisplayClass6.<LoadDll>b__3() at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

arraya-halim
Contributor
Contributor

This problem appears to be caused by various third party programs that interact with the Windows network stack. I uninstalled the most recent Intel Wireless ProSet software from Lenovo (11.5) and this fixed the issue for me. However there is still other software that apparently can cause this problem, as we've still got others who tried this and it did not fix the issue.

The SR # for my case was 1103438301. I would recommend referencing any SR #'s in cases open for this issue here since it seems to be the same problem caused by multiple third-party products.

SteveMal
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks much, this worked for me. An actual fix would be better, but this is something Smiley Happy.

0 Kudos
marvinthebassma
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. It works for me too.

I have deinstalled the Lenovo Intel PROSet/Wireless Network Connection Software for XP and I reinstalled it only with only the driver.

Martin

0 Kudos
nesineal
Contributor
Contributor

arraya-halim got it right

Thanks a lot, glad somebody was working on it

0 Kudos
nogger
Contributor
Contributor

This did the trick! Thanks so much arraya-halim.

Saved me from painful laptop reinstallation which probably wouldn't have helped anyway.

0 Kudos
oivindekeberg
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you!

This did the trick on my Lenovo T61.

br

Oivind

0 Kudos
bball
Contributor
Contributor

mee too.

stop/restart VI client as well

0 Kudos
livedrive777
Contributor
Contributor

Worked for me too!

0 Kudos
jevel
Contributor
Contributor

I uninstalled Access Connections and the Lenovo default driver. Then installed a driver off Intel's www and I managed to use the VIC for a few days. Then it started crashing again.

What did the trick for me was a post I found on Experts-Exchange:

Please copy the following:

>C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\2.5\libeay32.dll & C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\2.5\ssleay32.dll

>To

>C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher

>Please adjust the locations if the client is installed elsewhere.

Hope it helps.

-KJ

0 Kudos