VMware Cloud Community
MirekE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

dvSwitch - Adding hosts - have no hosts to add

Hello,

I have problem with creating distributed switch.

When I create a distributed switch, I have no hosts in the Add host and physical adapters dialog.

But I have 3 running hosts in my cluster.

The configuration is: 3 x ESX 4.0 Hosts in one cluster, vSphere 4 Enterprise, each host has 12 NICs, vMotion Enabled and fully working, DRS enabled, HA disabled, there are 6 running VM (currently all is running on one host) , Update Manager is running well.

What is wrong there?

Thx.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
srinivasvivek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

May be the host is not licensed for distributed switch. You need Enterprise Plus for a vDS. Again, it may not be a technical requirement

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
srinivasvivek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

1) Create a vDS without any host added to it

2) Then go to Home > Inventory > Networking & select your new vDS

3) Then select dvPortGroup or dvSwitch-DVUplinks > Add host & then you should be able to add hosts

0 Kudos
srinivasvivek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Also refer to this paper, http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere-vnetwork-ds-migration-configuration-wp.pdf for more information regarding vDS

Please mark if the answer is helpful

0 Kudos
MirekE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is dialog Select host and physical adapters, but no host on the right side of the dialog.

I have attached the screens

I know the general rules to create DS, but there is something wrong....

Ohhhh I see... is it possible that... I have Enterprise only and distributed switches are possible to create with Enterprise Plus only???

0 Kudos
srinivasvivek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

May be the host is not licensed for distributed switch. You need Enterprise Plus for a vDS. Again, it may not be a technical requirement

0 Kudos