VMware Cloud Community
RyanBoud
Contributor
Contributor

VMs not obtaining DHCP address when in the same Port Group

I'm new to VMware so please bear with me!

I'm running a Dell PE1950 using ESXi 4.1.

I've got 2 Windows 2003 Enterprise VMs configured; if they're in the same Virtual Machine Port Group then the first OS to power up will obtain a IP address from our DHCP server which is physically separate. When the second OS powers up it can't obtain an IP address, if I set it to static it still won't communicate. (see vmwarebad.jpg)

I've put the VMs into 2 separate Virtual Machine Port Groups and they can both obtain DHCP addresses and all isgood with the world but that seems wrong - please correct me if that's by design! (see vmwaregood.jpg)

If attached 2 JPGs to show what I mean.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
nsolop
Expert
Expert

How do you have created the virtual machines? folder copy?, template?

Regards/Saludos

Por favor no olvides calificar las respuestas que te resultaron de ayuda o fueron correctas.

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Nicolás Solop

VMware vExpert 2010 - VCP 410- VCP 310 - VAC - VTSP

My Linkedin Profile

Join to Virtualizacion en Español group in Likedin

!http://feeds.feedburner.com/WetcomGroup.1.gif!

0 Kudos
RyanBoud
Contributor
Contributor

The first one was created by creating a vm and installing windows by

inserting the cd into the host, updating with service pack and updates

then sysprepped. This was then exported to ovf then imported to create

the second. Went through the mini install on both to ensure SIDS were

regenerated.

The weird thing is when they're in two separate vm network groups

they're ok but in the same the second to boot doesn't get an ip from

dhcp

On 28 Jul 2010, at 18:20, "nsolop" <communities-emailer@vmware.com

0 Kudos
bstrignano
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You didn't hard code a MAC address by any chance?

Try removing the NIC and re-adding it.

0 Kudos
nsolop
Expert
Expert

The mac issue is where i was heading to. As stated before, try remove/re-add the nic

Regards/Saludos

Por favor no olvides calificar las respuestas que te resultaron de ayuda o fueron correctas.

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Nicolás Solop

My Linkedin Profile

0 Kudos
RyanBoud
Contributor
Contributor

I've removed the network card from Win Test 2 and reinstated it and these are the MAC addresses of the two machines:

Win Test MAC address: 00-0C-29-1C-06-AB

Win Test 2 MAC address: 00-0C-29-3A-2E-83

Still no joy with them in the same VM Port Group...

Any other suggestions?

I've attached a JPG with the settings on the VM Network - maybe there's something in there I need to change?

0 Kudos
nsolop
Expert
Expert

How's your virtual switch/ Port group security configured?

Regards/Saludos

Nicolás Solop

My Linkedin Profile

0 Kudos
RyanBoud
Contributor
Contributor

Straight out of the box with no additional configuration. I've attached a JPG to an earlier post showing the config

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Does your physical switch have any security settings that might cause this?

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Do you only have one pNIC to use on this server? If you have more than the one port to use, then try setting up a seperate vSwitch for VM only traffic. Such as the way shown in the attached screen shot (from my ESXi 4.1 host)...

I would also set the MAC Address CHanges and Forged Transmits to "reject"...

I would also try building a new VM from scratch to see if it can get an IP when the other (original) one is powered on... If it can, then you did something wrong in the sysprep process.

BTW, I would not advise using two VM Network port groups in the same vSwitch... I would also not use the same vSwitch that you use for the Management Network for VM Network traffic. Even though ESX/ESXi makes a VM Network port group within the same vSwitch, I wouldn't use it. Better to make another vSwitch for VM communication/traffic and keep it isolated from the vSwitch that's for the Management Network. You do have two Gb NIC's onboard with that server (on the motherboard). You can also install another NIC (or two if you're not using both PCI slots) that's a dual port (supported, or on the HCL for ESXi 4.1).

I would also not use 100Mb networking for ESX/ESXi... If it's set to 100Mb due to the switch you're connecting to, get a Gb switch to take it's place. You can get an unmanaged Gb switch pretty damned cheap these days. Of course, I prefer to use managed switches when connecting up ESX/ESXi host servers, even in my home lab.

If you can get a copy/license for vCenter Server, use that to administrate the host server. This will give you access to using Templates to deploy new VM's. This is a far, far, far better way than using the old sysprep routine. I've used it with great success for some time now...

Network Administrator

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos