VMware Cloud Community
jimbobt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual Center 4 Performance Data

We recently upgraded our Vcenter 2.5 to Vsphere and in the process it looks like our SQL data has been broken in some way.

We had SQL 2000 installed and during the upgrade we put on SQL 2005 express from the VSphere disc.

Now when we go into performance data we can only see the 1Day Time Range whenever we change it to 1Week the graph appears with no data.

Would it be possible to delete our VCenter database and start over? I was gonna put on SQL enterprise 2005 and rip off express version.

Thanks in advance.

Jamie

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
toha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you delete vCenter Server database data you will also lose custom permissions you'v maybe done and folder, DRS and cluster layout, VMs would keep on running but those will be unregistered from vCenter Server. It is pretty much like starting a cluster from ground up. If you have small enviroment and don't mind reconfiguring whole cluster setup then it is ok to delete SQL database.

But it sounds that you have some problems with scheduled database tasks. Check that your SQL Agent process is running, if not, start it and see that scheduled tasks in SQL server will run through. It may be possible to recover from this but it will take some time and SQL server knowledge.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
toha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you delete vCenter Server database data you will also lose custom permissions you'v maybe done and folder, DRS and cluster layout, VMs would keep on running but those will be unregistered from vCenter Server. It is pretty much like starting a cluster from ground up. If you have small enviroment and don't mind reconfiguring whole cluster setup then it is ok to delete SQL database.

But it sounds that you have some problems with scheduled database tasks. Check that your SQL Agent process is running, if not, start it and see that scheduled tasks in SQL server will run through. It may be possible to recover from this but it will take some time and SQL server knowledge.

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If you're looking to start from scratch anyway, cnmopsider migrating to the new Database by the normal route?

If that fails to remedy your problem, start from scratch?

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
jimbobt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thankyou for y our responses it is much appreciated. Toha you where spot on the SQL Agent was disabled by starting it and looking at the jobs i was able to r un each job. After about 1hr the data came back within the performance section. Job well done, thankyou for your input.

Jamie

0 Kudos