VMware Cloud Community
Eire09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Upgrading VM's to VM Version 7

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the advantages of upgrading to VM Version 7? I recently upgraded my virtual environment to vSphere & currently all my VM's are on VM Version 4.

Also are there any disadvantages to upgrading to VM version 7?

Thanks guys.

Pedro....

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

New Virtual Hardware — ESX/ESXi 4.0 introduces a new generation of virtual hardware (virtual machine hardware version 7), which adds significant new features including: * New storage virtual devices o Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) virtual devices — Provides support for running Windows Server 2008 Failover Clustering configurations. o IDE virtual device — Ideal for supporting older operating systems that lack SCSI drivers. * VMXNET Generation 3 — See the vNetwork section of this feature list. * Hot plug support for virtual devices and hot add support for memory and virtual CPUs Hardware version 7 is the default for new ESX/ESXi 4.0 virtual machines. ESX/ESXi 4.0 will continue to run virtual machines created on hosts running ESX Server versions 2.x and 3.x. Virtual machines that use virtual hardware version 7 features are not compatible with ESX/ESXi releases prior to version 4.0. See vSphere Basic System Administration.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

New Virtual Hardware — ESX/ESXi 4.0 introduces a new generation of virtual hardware (virtual machine hardware version 7), which adds significant new features including: * New storage virtual devices o Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) virtual devices — Provides support for running Windows Server 2008 Failover Clustering configurations. o IDE virtual device — Ideal for supporting older operating systems that lack SCSI drivers. * VMXNET Generation 3 — See the vNetwork section of this feature list. * Hot plug support for virtual devices and hot add support for memory and virtual CPUs Hardware version 7 is the default for new ESX/ESXi 4.0 virtual machines. ESX/ESXi 4.0 will continue to run virtual machines created on hosts running ESX Server versions 2.x and 3.x. Virtual machines that use virtual hardware version 7 features are not compatible with ESX/ESXi releases prior to version 4.0. See vSphere Basic System Administration.
0 Kudos