VMware Cloud Community
CarstenDilger
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 4.0 crash after remote Control with RADMIN?

In the last 2 months we had 3 crashes of 2 esx-hosts, the esx-hosts have the same hardware, now i noticed that all crashes appears if i connect to a virtual server with radmin-tool (famatech radmin).

Is it possible that this is the reason for the crash on the esx? perhaps it is just coincidence, but those are the only similarities are noticed me.

The technican from the hardware vendor didnt found some hardware errors on the board or something like this. so it must be a software error.

Is it possible that one error on one virtual host kills the complete esx-server? if this occurs the esx restarts from itself

Now i have updated the ESX-Servers with all patches and i hope there is no crash again...

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

I have to ask... Why are you using RAdmin to connect to VM's when you can use the console? I've only used RAdmin to connect to physical servers, in the past (don't need to know with VMware). Unless you're trying to install patches onto a server that won't work if you connect up with the terminal services, just use RDP to the VM's. OR, use the "open console" option.

What version of RAdmin are you using? How are the hosts configured (what's the hardware inside them, make and model of the host will help too)...

Since the VM's are isolated from the ESX OS, I can't see how using any software inside a VM would do anything to the stability of a host. Unless, that is, the VM starts maxing out the resources allocated to it, and is allowed to demand more (and is given more).

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
CarstenDilger
Contributor
Contributor

>>I have to ask... Why are you using RAdmin to connect to VM's when you can use the console?

answer: we have a lot of servers, some in vm, some hardware, so some colleagues don't know is it a vm or not, in radmin we can make a list of all servers...its easy to have one tool...

>>What version of RAdmin are you using?

answer: on my Computer i have version 3.2, the clients have different version, perhaps this is the problem?

The esx-servers are ibm

If this is a problem if i connect to the vm's with radmin, then i stop doing this...the question for me is, is it possible that one software can kill the esx-server like this?

thx Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
allenflopc
Contributor
Contributor

Funny enough, I am experiencing the exact same issue. My server is a HP Proliant G4 ML type. The RAdmin server is the 3.4 version and my client is 3.3. I'm running ESXi 4 as well. The entire system crashes and reboots when connecting to the Windows 2003 R2 guest with RAdmin. This only started happening after I updated the Radmin version from 2.1 to 3.4. This is the only physical machine that it is happening on though. I have no idea how connecting to the Guest could crash the entire ESX server, but it appears that it is.

I will troubleshoot more over the next week and post what I learn.

0 Kudos