VMware Cloud Community
chaikeong
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade esxi embedded 4.0 to 4.1 using dvd?

Can esxi embedded running off usb key be updated using dvd?

I am asking because my existing esxi embedded is screwed up after I tried to upgrade it using vum. The vum process failed with an error, but after a reboot, the vsphere client summary tab shows it has been upgraded (ie at 4.1), but the vum continues to alert that upgrade is missing. I have verified using the command line that the upgrade bundles are indeed missing. I have post another thread with more details after I go through them. In the meantime, can I upgrade by popping in a dvd to reinstall esxi embedded on the usb key?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

There really isn't any difference between esxi embedded and esxi installable. esxi embedded is just esxi installable installed on a usb or sd card instead of on the hard disk. By that logic, the answer to my question would be: yes, it can be done.

Correct

Just to add that some embedded ESXi ship from vendors, that add their specific bundles/drivers.

So if you want to reinstall, try using the Vendor specific ESXi ISO if it is available, otherwise use VMware ESXi ISO and install Vendor specific bundles after if required.

The other option is just to manual install the Bundles/patches on your current installation and VUM will pick them up.

Please award points for helpful/correct answers Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
chaikeong
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Please do correct me if I am wrong:

There really isn't any difference between esxi embedded and esxi installable. esxi embedded is just esxi installable installed on a usb or sd card instead of on the hard disk. By that logic, the answer to my question would be: yes, it can be done.

0 Kudos
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

Correct

Just to add that some embedded ESXi ship from vendors, that add their specific bundles/drivers.

So if you want to reinstall, try using the Vendor specific ESXi ISO if it is available, otherwise use VMware ESXi ISO and install Vendor specific bundles after if required.

The other option is just to manual install the Bundles/patches on your current installation and VUM will pick them up.

Please award points for helpful/correct answers Smiley Wink

0 Kudos