VMware Cloud Community
caubigreff
Contributor
Contributor

Update version

I'm currently on version 6.7.0.42000. I contacted support and was told that there was no longer any way for them to help me. Is there any way to get support for upgrading to a newer version?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

What VMware product are you referring to?

0 Kudos
caubigreff
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sorry, vSphere.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I assume that you are not running the free Hypervisor edition, which is no longer available.

The first step - prior to running upgrades - is to verify that your hardware is supported by a newer version (see https://www.vmware.com/go/hcl). Then it may make sense to check whether you are eligible for free license upgrades in the Customer Connect Portal. If you are not, you may need to purchase new subscription based licenses for the new version.

Once hardware, and licensing has been checked and is ok, I'd suggest to take a look at VMware's upgrade documentation. If you don't want to do the upgrades yourself, you may reach out to a VMware Partner and ask for help.

If you think you can do this by yourself, but you have questions about certain tasks, then don't hesitate to ask here in the user communities. There are many users here who will answer your questions.

André

0 Kudos
Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

as written before if you HW is supported with the latest version you will need the license. Now is the worst time to do it, while all is moving under the Broadcom and the license policy has changed from perpetual to subscription. If you have still paid and active support then you will be able update the license in the customer portal under license. When not, then you need to buy a new one, but this is possible to do it in May.

Now the the upgrade process. You need to do it manually while you will have jump over two major releases. So you will need to disconnect host by host and reinstall it. But at beginning I will do only one host and then start installing a new vCenter and there to choose the upgrade and show them the old vCenter and after upgrading the vCenter to move it to the first upgraded host. Then you can upgrade the next hosts and and ad them to the new cluster and by them also move the VMs there. 

It will be a hard job and will need many time for it.

Good luck for it.

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
Selling and Integration of Audio & Video Accessories and Technology
If my answer has resolved your problem please mark as RESOLVED or if it has only was a good help then give me the KUDOS. Thanks.
0 Kudos