VMware Cloud Community
Joffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Nexus 1000v migration tool - vCenter SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED

I've got a vSphere 5.5 environment with Nexus 1000v configured, which I'm tasked to upgrade to vSphere 6.5.

Have anyone used the "MigrationTool_Nexus1000v_to_VMWare_VDS" tool that you can download from VMware?

I'm having a problem that the SSL certificate won't verify, which is because it's the default self signed one from when it was installed. I'm looking for a way to get around this; anyone know how to ignore the SSL validity check? The error message is "simple":

2017-05-29 12:27:59,612 INFO : [ migration_tool.py-><module>() lineno : 261 ] - Tool Version: 1.1

2017-05-29 12:28:02,230 INFO : [ validate_connection.py->connection_details() lineno : 35 ] - Getting connection details of vCenter and VSM

2017-05-29 12:28:14,467 ERROR : [ migration_tool.py->connection_details() lineno : 128 ] - [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:661)

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "migration_tool.py", line 122, in connection_details

status = self.connection.connection_details()

File "..\NexusOperations\validate_connection.py", line 74, in connection_details

raise e

SSLError: [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:661)

I tried to import the certificate into the windows server I was running the migration tool on, both to the personal store, the trusted root certificate authorities and to third-party root certification authorities, but still the same error. Does python27 on windows keep it's own SSL keystore?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Joffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So I think I found the work around on Stack Overflow - python - "SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED" Error - Stack Overflow  (main thread)

For some reason editing the cacert.pem file didn't work as suggested there - python - "SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED" Error - Stack Overflow  (one answer)

What worked was opening a command prompt window and set PYTHONHTTPSVERIFY=0 directly for that session, and does not disable the entire certification check on other command prompt sessions or system wide. When you close the command prompt the setting is gone and needs to be typed again in a new prompt (python - "SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED" Error - Stack Overflow ) (another answer, that worked for me)

It would of course be better to fix the cert error, but for me this is good enough as I'm going to migrate away from 1000v and upgrade to vSphere 6.5 via a re-install of vCenter (VCSA) (so I need to go 1000v > VDS > VSS, move hosts, VSS > VDS)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Joffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So I think I found the work around on Stack Overflow - python - "SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED" Error - Stack Overflow  (main thread)

For some reason editing the cacert.pem file didn't work as suggested there - python - "SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED" Error - Stack Overflow  (one answer)

What worked was opening a command prompt window and set PYTHONHTTPSVERIFY=0 directly for that session, and does not disable the entire certification check on other command prompt sessions or system wide. When you close the command prompt the setting is gone and needs to be typed again in a new prompt (python - "SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED" Error - Stack Overflow ) (another answer, that worked for me)

It would of course be better to fix the cert error, but for me this is good enough as I'm going to migrate away from 1000v and upgrade to vSphere 6.5 via a re-install of vCenter (VCSA) (so I need to go 1000v > VDS > VSS, move hosts, VSS > VDS)

0 Kudos