VMware Cloud Community
tirher
Contributor
Contributor

Migrate ESXi to ESX

Hello,

If i need to change my server ESXi to ESX, I only need to buy a licence and put the serial or do I need something else?

I have 3 ESXi version 5.0 and i want to upgrade to essentials.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

If you want to stay on version 5 there is no longer an ESX versiion but if you are looking to set a version 4 of ESX than you willl need to get the license key for version 4 and apply it to an ESX 4 host -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

why would you want to go back to ESX? What benefit will that provide to you?  ESX is no longer offered, as of 4.1.

0 Kudos
kiranchavan30
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

if you are downgrading the version then you have to go for new license key. But I would like to suggest you stay with version 5. Is there any issues you are facing with version 5?

regards,

KC.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I may be wrong, but I think there's a misunderstanding about ESXi.

ESXi is not only available as a limited free version. Assigning the appropriate licenses (like Essentials) will enable the advanced features. The binaries for all editions are the same, so you won't have to do anything else but assigning the license keys.

André

0 Kudos
11satya
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hope you are right

0 Kudos
mwpreston
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you main goal is just to upgrade from free to essentials, then all you need to do is apply your lisense key to the same esxi host.  As of version 5 there is no longer an ESX version being released, so if your plan is true to the title of your post, in order for you to migrate to ESX, you will have to do a complete re-install using ESX version 4.1 or earlier...

Unless you have an absolute need for the service console that is offered in ESX, I would stick with the latest version ESXi 5.  ESX has a larger footprint, requires more updating, and to tell you the truth, will at sometime be declared end of life by support.  ESXi offers all of the virtualization features that ESX does...

0 Kudos