VMware Cloud Community
jack003
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Install VSphere 4 on cluster redhat server

Hi,

I'm newbie to linux and vmware. I was given a task to install VMware Vshpere 4 ( ESX Server 4) on one of the cluster node. This cluster has a head node and other compute node. For now, I need to install ESX server on one compute node. This server and compute node is on network. This server does not have cd/DVD drive nor USB port. I can't change hardware or OS on head node.

I have software on CD and also ISO image. I uploaded ISO image on head node. The head node and compute node currenlty running Red hat linux.

I can connect to this server from my PC which is running window 7 and it has cd/dvd drive.

so, the qustion is how can i install ESX server on this compute node? I researched a lot on google and vmware, but couldn't find any answer.

Is there a way to install ESX from ISO image thru NFS or some other way? or Can I use my PC DVD drive to install ESX server on compute node - server thru network?

I will be really appreciate if you can help me on this.  I found lot of answer installing ESX directly thru CD/DVD drive on same server, but it couldn't help me.

I would say that just imaging compute node as separate server without cd/dvd drive or usb and how can you install ESX server on it?

Thanks,

Jack.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Just a thought. Isn't there a chance to at least temporarily open the box and attach a CD/DVD-ROM drive for installation. This would make things much easier. Btw. you mentioned you were assigned to setup this system, however if there's no special need for ESX, I'd recommend you go with ESXi (the "i" makes the difference) - current version ESXi 4.1 Update 1 - since ESX will not be continued in the future. Also make sure your system is on the HCL if you consider to use it in production.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

just to make sure you're doing nothing wrong. From what you write I understand that you consider ESX an application which you install on top of your existing OS!? That's not the case. ESX is a bare metal Hypervisor/operating system which will install directly on the hardware and wipe the installation disk.

André

0 Kudos
jack003
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm sorry that I wasn't clear on my first post.

No, I am not installing as an application. I know ESX Server install as OS on bare matel. compute node (Imaging as Server A) is running from it's hard drive, so I can wipe out or overwrote it with ESX Server.

I mentioned head node (imaging as server B) which is running redhat linux and it has ESX Server ISO file. they both are on network.

It's like same as separate hardware/server that doesn't have CD/DVD drive or usb port and need to install ESX Server. Is there a way ESX server to install

remotly or NFS?

Thanks,

Jack.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No CD-ROM, no USB!? Does this system have a management port (like the ILO for HP) to which you can add the ISO as a virtual CD-ROM drive? How do you currently install any operating systems on this server? Maybe an option is to use PXE, e.g. http://www.ultimatedeployment.org/

André

0 Kudos
jack003
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ya.. No CD, NO USB.

This system came with preloaded Redhat Linux. It has IPMI tool, but the virtual cd rom file reads file 100KB per hour and the ESX Server ISO file is about 700MB.

So, I was looking for another solution, if somebody had done it before.

I don't know anything about PXE. do you know/have steps to install ESX using PXE? I will also google about PXE and see if I can do that way.

Thanks,

Jack.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

perhaps you may create a private LAN between the management port and the source of the CD, that might increase the speed of reading.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Just a thought. Isn't there a chance to at least temporarily open the box and attach a CD/DVD-ROM drive for installation. This would make things much easier. Btw. you mentioned you were assigned to setup this system, however if there's no special need for ESX, I'd recommend you go with ESXi (the "i" makes the difference) - current version ESXi 4.1 Update 1 - since ESX will not be continued in the future. Also make sure your system is on the HCL if you consider to use it in production.

André

0 Kudos
jack003
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's not easy to open hardware and attach CD/DVD drive.

This is the one I'm using:

http://www.sgi.com/pdfs/4248.pdf

Yes. It's on HCL vmware list.

I still couldn't find much helpful info about PXE and how to set it up to install ESX. I am still looking online.

Also, I will  try again IPMI Virtual media with private network tomorrow and see if that helps or not.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
opbz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

well assuming that your nics are capable of PXE boot that sounds like your best option.

In that case you have 2 options either use something like UDA for which you need to have vmware running somewhere already (in my case have it as a vm in vmworsktation) Other option is to configure your eisting node to work as a PXE server.

here is link that might help:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-setting-up-linux-pxe-remote-boot.html

good luck

0 Kudos
jack003
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried creating a private network to use IPMI Virtual media, but the speed still didn't improve. It still takes long time to read/connect virtual media.

I think, now, I only have option to use UDA or PXE boot. I am still trying to learn and understand the process and how to set it up. As soon as, I'll find out or figure out to install ESX, I'll let you guys know.

Thanks,

Jack.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

very unique situation you have there, i guess you have to be patient with the virtual cdrom

0 Kudos
jack003
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm sorry if I am not clear, but I have a question about UDA. Can I set up UDA on same machine that I need to install ESX Server? or UDA setup has to be separate machine?

I was wondering that If I setup UDA on same host and then reboot and it takes ESX installation, but I am not sure that I can do it this way. or Do I have to setup as client server - Server running UDA and Client host for ESX installation?

Thanks,

Jack.

0 Kudos
jack003
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

I wasn't able to install ESX via PXE. Finally, I opened a box and found USB port behind Hard drives. I attached USB CD/DVD drive and was able to install ESX server using it.

I still would like to figure it out install ESX via PXE if somebody had done before.

Thanks all for your help.

-Jack.

0 Kudos