VMware Cloud Community
RTCampbell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error in Host Profile checks after May update.

I recently applied ESXi550-201505002 (may update) to all of my host and now my host profile checks will not work. I tied creating a new host profile and also updating my existing profile and still no joy. The error I get is "Failures Against Host Profile: Unexpected error checking compliance: None Type object is not iterable".  I have Googled it numerous different ways and tried a bunch of different solution attempts. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RTCampbell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, problem solved. I figured I'd update just in case anyone in the future runs into this situation.

Our ESXi host for security reasons are required to be on their own segment with no access to any other domain joined machines......except vCenter of course and they do not have direct access to DCs or DNS (we have a local host file on each host referencing the other ESXi host). In our host profile DNS is not configured but apparently something with this most recent update did not like that and triggered it to be "unknown" when trying to run a compliance check. I could still apply a host profile, just not check to ensure it was fully compliant afterwards.  So basically I edited the host profile to not include "DNS configuration" located at  Networking configuration-->NetStack Instance-->default TcpipStack-->DNS configuration. Once I did that all checks came back normal and showed compliant.

Take care.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
CoolRam
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This type of condition arise when you have taken the Host profile which has 2 nic in VM and you want to apply the profile which has 1 Nic only. 

there you can hit the error like "None Type object is not iterable"

If you find any answer useful. please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
RTCampbell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. I'm talking about "host" profiles, not VM Templates......not sure if that is what you meant.

Either way, my host are all identical in hardware, NICS.....etc. This happened yesterday after I applied the most recent May update. I have four other host that have not had the new update applied and they are in compliance and can continue to be checked. This one has me baffled at the moment.

0 Kudos
RTCampbell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, problem solved. I figured I'd update just in case anyone in the future runs into this situation.

Our ESXi host for security reasons are required to be on their own segment with no access to any other domain joined machines......except vCenter of course and they do not have direct access to DCs or DNS (we have a local host file on each host referencing the other ESXi host). In our host profile DNS is not configured but apparently something with this most recent update did not like that and triggered it to be "unknown" when trying to run a compliance check. I could still apply a host profile, just not check to ensure it was fully compliant afterwards.  So basically I edited the host profile to not include "DNS configuration" located at  Networking configuration-->NetStack Instance-->default TcpipStack-->DNS configuration. Once I did that all checks came back normal and showed compliant.

Take care.

0 Kudos
godbucket
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This worked for me:

VMware KB: Cannot enable or test SNMP on a VMware ESXi 5.1 host

Someone was monkeying around and just had an IP address as the target. Changed to the appropriate '0.0.0.0@162 public' format and now the hosts can check compliance with the profiles.

0 Kudos