VMware Cloud Community
OnephoneDE
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi4.1 and 5.1

Hi Folks,

sorry for this newbie questions but im dont want to just try it out insteed I would like to know it beforehand.

We have a Vcenter Server and 3 ESXi 4.1 Hosts.

I would like to install a new Standalone ESXI 5.1 Host (not integrated into the Vcenter) and manage it by connecting from the Vclient to that Host directly.

Is it possible to connect to a 5.1 host with a 4.1 Client ?

Is it possible to connect to a 4.1 VCenter Server with a 5.1 Client ?

Is it possible to have both 4.1 Client and 5.1 Client on a PC ?

Kind Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

no... You will need to download and install the 5.1 client. From there when you launch the client, depending on which environment you connect to, the "launcher" will pick the correct version client

Yes, but you'll still need the 4.1 client installed.

yes... it is required.

0 Kudos
Chaz999
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello

Yes,  in a sense of you have 2 seprate vSphere client on DT, but what happen as soon as you conect to your 5.1 host it prompt you to download new 5.1 installer vSphere client at this moment donot run just save the file on your desktop and run from there once installation complete rename the shortcut that refer to 5.1 vSphere Client, you may end up with 2 vSphere Client one is 4.1 which was pre-exist and new installed 5.1, so to connect 5.1 host you can used vSphere Client 5 and for 4.1 used vSphere CLient 4.1

I am very positive shouldnot be an issue

Yes, already explain you on very first question

Thanks

0 Kudos