VMware Cloud Community
Admlshak3
Contributor
Contributor

Bought Essentials License, now it's saying the trial is over?

So today when I tried logging into our lab server running Essentials 5, I got a notice saying that our trial has expired.  However when I connect directly to the server and not the vsphere VM I look at the license info and i see the License Key we bought Listed.  When I go back to the order confirmation I see two keys,  One for VMWare vsphere 5 Essentials for 1 processor 6 cpu's and one for VCenter Server 5 essentials.  This lab machine is running the appliance, the second key is listed but when I go to put the first one in it won't take it, say's it's a downgrade.  So I'm not sure what to do next here.  This server is a 2 cpu with 10 cores each so I'm pretty sure I'm still good as far as that goes.  So why won't it take my license or why is it showing expired?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

By default vCenter Server and the ESXi hosts will run in evaluation mode after installation. For ESXi hosts the evaluation mode offers all features of the Enterprise Plus version, that's why you receive the downgrade warning when you try to assign the Essentials key (which is ok in this case).

André

0 Kudos
Admlshak3
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you.  When I try to put the Essentials license in through the vsphere client it says wrong product, and when I try to do it for the web interface on the appliance it says incorrect remote key?  I'm assuming that this VCenter 5 Essentials for vpshere key is supposed to be used by the appliance?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

That's strange. The "vCenter Server 5 Essentials" key is for the vCenter Server instance (no matter whether this is the appliance or a Windows based installation) and the "vSphere 5 Essentials for 1 processor 6 cpu's" key is the key for the ESXi host(s). Just to confirm, does the error show up when you try to enter these two keys in the Web Client's licensing section, or at the time when you try to assign the license key to the host? Where did you get the "downgrade " warning? Did you already assign the license key to vCenter Server?

André

0 Kudos