VMware Cloud Community
rmaury
Contributor
Contributor

Reformatting the datastore in ESX 4.0 to increase block size.

In installing ESX 4.0 on an IBM x3650, I notice it defaults to a 1MB block size. We would like to virtualize our file server; however, the maximum file size this affords us, 255GB, is not large enough. I would like to reformat the datastore with a larger block size but am prevented from doing so due to the ESX Service Console image. This is a standalone server so I have no options for migrating this image. Is there a process to increase the block size under these circumstances?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Is there a process to increase the block size under these circumstances?

No, sorry.

Change block size require reformatting VMFS volume.

Andre

**if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
rmaury
Contributor
Contributor

That is the difficulty. I can't reformat the datastore because the service console resides on it. There is no option to choose the block size at install.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you need to remove the storage and then present it back and format with a bigger block size.

0 Kudos
rmaury
Contributor
Contributor

Remove datastore viper

The resource vim.Datastore 4a26bcd1-3f5beec2-2334-001a6468c2fb is in use.

root

6/4/2009 3:58:09 PM

6/4/2009 3:58:09 PM

6/4/2009 3:58:13 PM

-

This is the error returned when I try to delete the datastore. There is a folder containing esxconsole.vmdk and esxconsole-flat.vmdk which cannot be removed.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

That's a good one. I don't know if it's even possible to change the blocksize. But why not carve up the RAID set in a 20GB lun and a large one.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

wayne7215
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here, can't delete or reformat the datastore because of the esxconsole-flat.vmdk file.

Any workaround for that?

Thx

0 Kudos
rmaury
Contributor
Contributor

Following depping's advice, this is the solution I found. Using IBM's RAID configuration wizard on their ServerGuide CD, format the array and carved 2 slices. A single 20GB slice for the hypervisor and Server Console, and devoting the other to the datastore. When installing ESX, only install on the first, 20GB slice. After installation, when you take a look at the storage configuration, you'll notice that you a small 10-12GB datastore which contains your service console. From there you can create another datastore on the second RAID slice which supports any block size you need. This solution depends on the ability to create 2 logical disks in your RAID array so you may need to refer to your particular RAID documentation.

0 Kudos