VMware {code} Community
TroyMW
Contributor
Contributor

Can't install vSphere SDK for Perl on Linux

I'm trying to install the SDK on a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop with Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop as the operating system. This computer is not connected to the internet, it is on an internal network. I'm trying to install the SDK from source code per the instructions on page 17 of the "vSphere SDK for Perl Installation Guide." I'm getting the following output when I run 'perl Makefile.PL':

Warning: prerequisite SOAP::Lite 0.67 not found.

Warning: prerequisite UUID 0.03 not found. We have 0.02.

Warning: prerequisite XML::LibXML 1.58 not found.

Writing Makefile for VIPerlToolkit

Is Makefile.PL looking for prerequisits whithin it's own source tree or is it looking for packages installed on the system?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you're installing from source, install the prerequisites (the list you have) first.

=====

Carter Shanklin

Read the PowerCLI Blog
[Follow me on Twitter|http://twitter.com/cshanklin]

0 Kudos
TroyMW
Contributor
Contributor

I have checked the system with Synaptic Package Manager. They all appear the installed.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

See if this doc helps, its specific for Ubuntu 9.04 but I imagine it might be the same for 9.10: , VMware's documentation isn't always clear :X

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Comuunity

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
TroyMW
Contributor
Contributor

I followed the link. I had all of the recommended packages except 'libxml-sax-expat-perl'. I'm still getting errors when using either 'sudo ./vmware-install.pl' or 'sudo perl Makefile.PL'

0 Kudos
pjelar
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever get an answer to this question?

I'm trying to install the SDK on Centos 6 and have installed all the pre reqs except for UUID > 0.3

I'm unable to install the perl module from cpan or compile it manually.

make
gcc -c   -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fstack-protector -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic   -DVERSION=\"0.04\" -DXS_VERSION=\"0.04\" -fPIC "-I/usr/lib64/perl5/CORE"   UUID.c
UUID.xs: In function ‘do_generate’:
UUID.xs:13: error: storage size of ‘uuid’ isn’t known
UUID.xs:14: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘uuid_generate’
UUID.xs:13: warning: unused variable ‘uuid’
UUID.xs: In function ‘do_unparse’:
UUID.xs:20: error: storage size of ‘uuid’ isn’t known
UUID.xs:23: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘uuid_unparse’
UUID.xs:20: warning: unused variable ‘uuid’
UUID.xs: In function ‘do_parse’:
UUID.xs:29: error: storage size of ‘uuid’ isn’t known
UUID.xs:33: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘uuid_parse’
UUID.xs:30: warning: unused variable ‘str’
UUID.xs:29: warning: unused variable ‘uuid’
make: *** [UUID.o] Error 1

Can the SDK use Data::UUID instead of UUID? http://search.cpan.org/~rjbs/Data-UUID-1.217/UUID.pm

Thanks,

Pierre

0 Kudos
Tommi2Day
Contributor
Contributor

i ran into the same issue. first there is no UUID module 0.03+ i could found.

yum install libuuid libuuid-devel should solve this missing names problem. Its mentioned for sles, but not redhat. 

Thomas

ii00907
Contributor
Contributor

Hi to all,

i have the same problem.

Om my VM , with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.5 64bit , i can not install the vSphere SDK for Perl on Linux ( 5 ).

This is the missing packages;

UUID 0.03 or newer
WSMan::StubOps 0.1 or newer

On my network is not possible connect , via proxy , on CPAN.

Thanks for the support!!

0 Kudos
Tommi2Day
Contributor
Contributor

You can install uuid 0.02, which can be installed with yum. Afterwards, edit the version string $Version in uuid.pm to make vmware happy.According to diff there is no technical difference to uuid 0.03, only a new maintainer string. for this reason CPAN marked release V0.03 and 0.04 as "unauthorized". Dont know, why vmware requires such version .

0 Kudos
Shamim_99
Contributor
Contributor

install libuuid-devel module

yum install libuuid-devel and try to compile again, it will work.

0 Kudos
AndyR8939
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I really struggled wth this as kept getting no more mirrors when searching with yum.

I eventually found the packages I needed on http://pkgs.org/search/?keyword=uuid

0 Kudos
jamesMiller
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue.  It's really frustrating. I want to just pull the sdk from vmware and run the make file.  First i had to hack it to ignore the proxy settings, now I'm getting the same UUID/XMLLib errors that existed 3 years ago.

I've tried installing UUID and XMLLIB packages from cpan, but the first didn't have any affect, and the second complained about other missing depencies.

0 Kudos
clausp
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,
I did the following to solve the problem with UUID 0.03 or higher needed (on RHEL 6.3).

From http://www.cpan.org/ I downloaded UUID-0.03.tar.gz

then,

tar -zxvf UUID-0.03.tar.gz

cd UUID-0.03

perl Makefile.PL

make

..... make complained that gcc was missing

yum install gcc

..... After install of gcc

make

make test

make install

That was it!, the install was successfull

ps:

I also temporary disabled selinux

0 Kudos
mediumrare
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks a lot for your instructions, clausp!

Worked like a charm. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
eljabar
Contributor
Contributor

I tried downloading first UUID-0.03, but it wasn't compiling for me on Ubuntu 14.04. I tried a couple other versions with similar results.  However, we were able to

sudo apt-get install uuid-dev

and then retry the PERL SDK install and that resolved the missing VIRuntime module missing error I was getting before when working with the Nagios check_vmware_api plugin.

Without this the PERL SDK installer never prompted for the default install location for the tool [/usr/bin] and there wasn't any indication that it was installing those files anywhere else.

0 Kudos