VMware Cloud Community
gabriel_1010
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Storage difference shown in vSphere vs Storage

Hello,

Why is the storage capacity of my storage displayed in vSphere different from what it actually has?

in vSphere is displayed 48.84TB

on my DELL ME5 storage it has 53.6 TB

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Storage an HDD/SSD vendors (likely the marketing) like to make their systems look "better".
Therefore they usually show size values in TB (Base 10), rather than TiB (Base 2).

VMware on the other side shows the real technical size (Base 2), thus the difference.

Dell PowerVault/ME systems offer an option to select how the sizes should be displayed. Other than the older ME4, the new ME5 does not offer this user setting in the GUI, but only from the CLI (see https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/powervault-me5024/me5_series_cli/set-user?guid=guid-80059...).

André

View solution in original post

3 Replies
NateNateNAte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

ESXi reserves a percentage of the resource storage for things like vMotion, swap files, etc. It's a percentage versus a fixed amount since environments come in all kinds of (storage) shapes and sizes.  If you have vSAN that also takes some overhead. 

All hypervisors (and most storage arrays) do the same thing.  Heck, even a Windows OS partitions off a portion of storage for recovery.

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Storage an HDD/SSD vendors (likely the marketing) like to make their systems look "better".
Therefore they usually show size values in TB (Base 10), rather than TiB (Base 2).

VMware on the other side shows the real technical size (Base 2), thus the difference.

Dell PowerVault/ME systems offer an option to select how the sizes should be displayed. Other than the older ME4, the new ME5 does not offer this user setting in the GUI, but only from the CLI (see https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/powervault-me5024/me5_series_cli/set-user?guid=guid-80059...).

André

gabriel_1010
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for your helps

0 Kudos