VMware Cloud Community
garba1980
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Snapshot location

Hello again everyone. I'd like to ask a simple question considering I have shared storage for my 15 VMs.

Of these 15 vms I have one with NAKIVO on board and one with VEEAM on board. The vm with NAKIVO

backs up to QNAP1 network repositories, while the VEEAM vm backs up to QNAP2 network repositories.

The temporary snapshots that VEEAM and NAKIVO take during incremental or full backup, where are they physically created/deleted? On the shared storage in the vm folder, or on the QNAP in the backup folder? Thanks a lot and best regards.

Liuk

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you manually take snapshots the files are stored with the rest of the VM by default, not sure if those backup tools force a different behaviour (either by default or by configuration)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
garba1980
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks scott28tt!!!

0 Kudos
Tapas124
Contributor
Contributor

All the delta files will be saved on the default location, once the snapshot/backup is taken the delta file will be created per disk on the same folder.

One recommendation I will share is please schedule the Backup Windows at different times for different backups else there is a chance of stale snapshots.

Thank you 

tmahanta
0 Kudos
BarryGrowler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Temporary snapshots created by Veeam and NAKIVO during backups are stored in the VM's folder on the shared storage, not in the QNAP backup folders. These snapshots are managed on the same datastore where the VM resides, allowing the backup process to capture the VM's current state without altering its primary storage location. Once the backup is complete, these temporary snapshots are merged back or deleted, ensuring they don't persist on your storage. To optimize performance and prevent potential issues, consider scheduling backups at different times for each tool. One more suggestion is to contact the support teams of both of the solutions or to write on their specialized forums.

0 Kudos