VMware {code} Community
technova
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can a inventory tree implemented in vSphere web client 5.1?

Hi,

I am developing a vsphere web client 5.1 plugin.

I need to implement inventory tree in my plugin. The programming guide and sample documentation speaks about listing entities as "Inventory list" and not about any hierarchical manner( Inventory tree ) as shown in the snapshot displayed below.

I browsed through "vSphere Web Client Extensions Programming Guide for vSphere 5.1" and samples provided as "chassis-ui" , but cannot find any way (extension point/api) to display vsphere/custom entities in hierarchical way as seen in vcenter section on web client.

Is there any way to display objects as form of tree in vSphere web client plugin?

vmware_tree.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

No, it is not possible to add your custom objects to the inventory tree in the left-hand side.  Our UI is going away from hierarchical display for objects because it doesn't scale up (we left the inventory tree in this version to help people make the transition 🙂

Of course you can build your own Flex tree component to display what you want in your own view.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

No, it is not possible to add your custom objects to the inventory tree in the left-hand side.  Our UI is going away from hierarchical display for objects because it doesn't scale up (we left the inventory tree in this version to help people make the transition 🙂

Of course you can build your own Flex tree component to display what you want in your own view.

0 Kudos
technova
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Laurent for your insight of the issue. It helped alot.

0 Kudos
technova
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Laurent,

Thanks for the update. We need some information on implementation of Flex Tree in vSphere web client.

In order to display Flex tree view in the web plugin what are the prerequisites.

Are there any modifications required in the plugin.xml  ?

How will the left hand listing view should be modified to display the customised Flex tree in the Left panel of the web plugin.

Any guiding tips would be of great help for us to get started in the right direction

0 Kudos
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You are free to display any Flex component in a view that you "own", i.e. a central view, whether it is an Object summary view portlet, a view in a sub-tab of Manage or Monitor, or a global view.

But you cannot change the views that you don't own (i.e. there are no public extension points for those), in particular:

- The Left-hand side and right-hand side areas

- Any existing vSphere object views

So your tree will have to be displayed in your own custom view.